Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cary Safe Information

A friend of mine just acquired this Cary safe and wanted to know if anyone has any info on it. An approximate age and value would be appreciated. I collect antique safes and know the standard responses of it's worth what you can get someone to pay, or it's worth nothing because moving it would cost more than it's value. So let's say in a hypothetical situation of that you saw the safe for sale in your home town and the guy selling it had a safe trailer and would deliver it to your house, what would you say it might be worth? It is about 23" wide X 23" deep X 32" tall. Has a 5 digit combo and 4 wheels in the wheel pack.
    Thanks,
    Jacob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bruce Safe 001.jpg   Bruce Safe 002.jpg   Bruce Safe 004.jpg   Bruce Safe 005.jpg   Bruce Safe 007.jpg  

Bruce Safe 008.jpg   Bruce Safe 009.jpg   Bruce Safe 010.jpg   Bruce Safe 014.jpg   Bruce Safe 015.jpg  

I would say very late 1800's or early 1900. It has original paint and overall is a nice safe. Contrary to popular opinion, it still has both fire and burglary protection, so it could still be used a safe. Note that I am not saying how much protection because fires and attacks come in all sizes and colors, so hopefully those who don't agree with me will take a minute to ponder that fact. Doug

I agree that this safe would be good against a good deal of attacks. These old beasts were very well made. The layered way these were built would slow attackers down a good deal.

Fire is a matter that I would question a little bit. If it was in a sprinklered building it would survive well. In a HOT fire the contents is crispy. So you are right Doug on this as well. But then fires are always on: duration and temp = survive. If they can keep one of the two down it will survive.

Default Cary Safe

Thanks Doug and Dean for the responses. Does anyone have an opinion on the value of the unit. I told him that in a "retail" setting in our hometown that if I saw this in an antique store I would guess it would have a $400-$600 price tag on it. Street value would obviously be lower. I'll take any type of guesses wild or otherwise.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Ok let us just go over the condition.

Paint is all there but not in the greatest of shape but solid and colors are clear, so for a restore job I think it would be easy to photo and then remap the artwork from what I understand. I hope our safe restore persons will chime in on this point.

The lock works or at least it is open and this can be a big point as a closed and locked safe is next to a paper weight in usefulness.

The hinge has damage to two acorns and one is missing. This is also something that would be done in a restore job. There is one acorn that can be used as a pattern.

The dial has need of a cleaning and remark of the lines. Not a big deal.

Lever handle needs a bit of clean work and maybe a refinish. Hard to tell.

The lock needs to be cleaned and lubed as with all safe locks just touching the lube on a thin almost nothing film on the finger and wiping it on the moving surfaces that touch.

Point to take care, as we don't know if the fire fill has any asbestos so care should be taken to not breath anything in when having the pan off until you seal that stuff with something like paint or lacquer.

The insides I would build a solid wood cabinet to replace that plywood insert. It may not be the OEM but I think that the OEM stuff is gone.

So if I was to buy this safe today if someone was to come in the shop I would offer maybe $100-150. But that takes in consideration work I would have to put into it to resell it. It is a project safe. Not a bad one for those who want to work on them.829

Hey Jacob,
    I've got 3 similar sized units, that I've gotten either from craigslist or a yard sale. A Bing, an Empire and a Detroit safe, all circa 1900, and in a little better condition than the Cary. The inner lock boxes(or doors) still in place and slightly to much better paint condition. I paid between $150 to $200 each for them. These are not our local everyday prices, probably average finding one in that range about every two years. I see them listed quite often for between $350 and $450, but the listings run a long time and is more than I would pay.
    BIll

i wanna restore it!!...

We would love to see it or any others that you might do.

Thread Information