Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Child locked in vault

Not "antique" related, but --

There's a news item about a 14-month-old who was accidentally locked in a bank vault:

Baby Mistakenly Locked In Bank Vault - News Story - WSB Atlanta

I know this can be a real danger, and that emergency vents are often installed, but a young child might not be able to operate one from the inside. Are there any actual cases of death in such circumstances?

I saw that this morning on the news.Do you think that locksmith was under any pressure? It's hard enough to do a job, but with everyone breathing down your neck (3hrs they said) I bet he was sweating!! They said he had to drill the lock to gain entry. My hat's off to him. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    (3hrs they said) Mark
    There seem to be lots of different versions of this story. I just watched the ABC evening news and they said it took five minutes to open the safe once the 'emergency locksmith' arrived!

Pete Schifferli

Hmmm, kind of makes one wonder how safe their money is if a locksmith can bypass a timelock and open that safe in 5 min... Not to say it can't be done, but I would like to see it.
    Mark A. Billesbach

I heard about that last night from a friend. The same thing happened in Pennsylvania several years ago. That would be a lot of pressure but I imagine as long as the safe tech keeps his wits about him and directs the operation from the moment he gets the call it could go quite quickly upon arrival. The combinations would be already unlocked so depending on the door setup the time lock may be the only target. Determining make model and drillpoint could all be accomplished by another safe tech by camera phones as the tech is on his way. Considerations of least damage go out the window in a case like this so it would be a mag or vacuum press with a large drill bit. And there would be lots of willing helpers to get the tools inside and setup on the door. I have no doubt that at least a few deaths have occured but most likely that was in the late 1800's or early 1900's where several people were forced into a small vault over a much longer period than just a few hours. The poor child won't even remember this but will have to deal with what will now be a very overprotective mother. Doug

Default What Doug said

There was really no threat of the child suffocating in the vault even if the vents weren't open. I don't know how big the vault is but a sealed 12'x12'x8' room has enough oxygen for an adult to survive for about 2 1/2 days.

I was not suggesting that there was immediate danger in this case. There are vaults that are quite small say 4 X 8. Given the right set of circumstances such as several adults in a vault this size, far from a compentent and quick response, the risk now becomes great. Today that's hard to imagine but not so much out West a 100 years ago. Anyway all involved in this recent case would have little patience for anything less regardless of the reality of the danger involved. Thanks for facts though. I was wondering about that. Doug

That's funny . I meant "What Doug said" as "I agree with what Doug said". It's very common in forums to say "What _____ said" as a way of agreeing with someone and telling others that the post contains correct information etc...

FWIW the WSBTV video shows the vault door, it looks like a Diebold Titan series.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

There was a movie in 1957 called "Time Lock" which involves a young boy locked in a bank vault, and the efforts to free him. It's also Sean Connery's first speaking role in a film. A small part of the movie is on YouTube, see:

YouTube - Time Lock (1957) - excerpt

To thelockcollector Sorry for that. I was not aware of that practice. Maybe you could post some pictures of what you have collected? Doug

Thread Information