Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Does anyone know the history of this US Navy lock?

My son found an antique lock in the woods at Wagon Hill Farm in Durham New Hampshire. Wagon Hill Farm is on the Great Bay Estuary, not far from the mouth of the Piscataqua River (which is the location of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard established in 1800). Durham is home to the University of New Hampshire, founded in 1866.

This lock is a U.S. Navy Brass Lock. Solid brass, “Four Brass Levers” stamped on front. Also on front is stamped: “1 Federal/USN.” on back is stamped: “W. Bell & Sons, Ltd./Philadelphia, Penna./ Locksmiths by Appointment.” At the bottom on the back is “Drain.” above a punched hole.

Any information is helpful. :)
    Thank You,
    Renee Vannata

Hi,

I'm just going by memory... I think your lock is a copy of an English padlock. There were 5-6 different fantasy locks made in the 1970s or 1980s. One was Leavenworth Prison...the other names escape me right now. I'm sure they were imported. Ltd I think stood for Limited and I thought it had something to do with a copyright in the UK. Anyway --all that is stamped on the lock is fictious too. I'll try and post a picture of
    some similar locks if I can find them on my computer later next week.

Hope this helps.

Dean

"Ltd." in the UK stands for "Limited" as in "Company limited by guarantee", which means approximately the same as "Incorporated" in the USA.

Thread Information