Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: antique lock

Default antique lock

Hi Friends,

I am looking for some antique locks but I am not familiar with this field. I need your help...
    Are there any famous antique lock brand or any famous lock brand which produce antique locks?
    Very thanks for your attention

Welcome aboard.

Lock collecting is a wide open area of choice. You have door locks, safe locks, padlocks, keys and specialty locks. Specialty locks are like locks for a special application beyond just locking something up. Example a time lock keeps a safe locked until the timer runs out of time on it. The list I have given is just a small part of what there is out there. Have a look around as there are many locks on this site that are very nice.

So I will start with the question of what type of lock were you looking for?

There are many brands that are well known such as Yale here in the states. There are well known locks from all parts of the world. Some that are not well known are very important to the lock world for making something that later was common in locks. So just being famous isn't just the only thing to look for. Milner would be a good example of this.

Default antique design for door handle

Hi Nikel,

Thanks for your reply.
    I am looking for some antique door lock(mainly for door handles) which should be high level and modern and and vintage design. But I couldn't find any this kind of brand by searching 'antique lock' or 'classical lock', do you know any kind of this kind of lock companies or do you know how I can find this information?
    very thanks for your kindly help,
    Rita-S

Do you mean that you want high quality, new, but antique style locks for your building? What sort of handles would you wish to fit, because they would determine what lock you needed. Many locks are hidden in the edge of the door so there wouldn't really be much of the lock on show to be antiquey unless you were talking about rim locks which sit on the inside surface of the door.
    Tom

Thread Information