Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Twiskee patents and/or history?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twiskeelock-lh-270.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	4127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twiskee.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	4126
    I accidentally ran across a patent (486,685) that looks a lot like the Twiskee locks. These were very simple-looking low security padlocks that used a unique twisted key. As far as I can tell the keys used different twist directions (CW and CCW), and amount of twist (90 degrees, 180, 270, possibly others) for a very small keyspace. Some keys had side milling which was probably a later addition to increase the number of keys (in one direction, at least, i.e. a side-milled 180 CW key would still operate a lock designed for a non-milled key but not vice-versa).

Aside from this very old patent, does anybody have any other information on Twiskees?

Default twiskee...an odd combo with Yale

Hello...I see this is a very old post, so I hope you are still out there! I am trying to re-create some of my history, so I am looking for a Twiskee lock and key. About 60 years ago, my brother was stationed in Korea, and when he came home he brought me (a 6 year old) a Twiskee. Of course it looked odd so I kept it, and about a year later, he was stationed at Ft Riley, KS, and he brought me an old Yale lock...locked with no key...and he jokingly said..."Maybe that weird key will work". IT DID!!! For years I kept them, and showed everyone how the weird key opened the Yale lock. Unfortunately my dad locked my lock on an old building, then sold it, and would not go back to retrieve my lock. I tried the key in many locks...to no avail! Years later, in the 1970's in Phoenix, my keys were stolen and the Twiskee was lost to me forever. I recently started looking to replace it, and found 3 keys on E-bay, but so far no lock. They keys I bought off E-bay are twisted in different directions, and I've tried them on all my old locks--hey! I can dream, can't I?? Do you have any idea where I can find a lock? Thanks, Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post

Name:	twiskeelock-lh-270.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	4127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twiskee.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	4126
    I accidentally ran across a patent (486,685) that looks a lot like the Twiskee locks. These were very simple-looking low security padlocks that used a unique twisted key. As far as I can tell the keys used different twist directions (CW and CCW), and amount of twist (90 degrees, 180, 270, possibly others) for a very small keyspace. Some keys had side milling which was probably a later addition to increase the number of keys (in one direction, at least, i.e. a side-milled 180 CW key would still operate a lock designed for a non-milled key but not vice-versa).

Aside from this very old patent, does anybody have any other information on Twiskees?

They do show up on eBay from time to time. You might look into saving "Twiskee" as what they call a followed search so you don't have to keep checking every few days.

There are a few lock shows each year (Los Angeles, Lancaster PA, Terryville CT, and Indianapolis) if you can attend one but I can't guarantee you'd find a Twiskee lock.

Default Twiskee

I have a Twiskee lock that I am interested in selling and was about to list on ebay. Lock is in very good condition with both keys. Send me a message and I will send you pictures.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by nocona46 View Post
    Hello...I see this is a very old post, so I hope you are still out there! I am trying to re-create some of my history, so I am looking for a Twiskee lock and key. About 60 years ago, my brother was stationed in Korea, and when he came home he brought me (a 6 year old) a Twiskee. Of course it looked odd so I kept it, and about a year later, he was stationed at Ft Riley, KS, and he brought me an old Yale lock...locked with no key...and he jokingly said..."Maybe that weird key will work". IT DID!!! For years I kept them, and showed everyone how the weird key opened the Yale lock. Unfortunately my dad locked my lock on an old building, then sold it, and would not go back to retrieve my lock. I tried the key in many locks...to no avail! Years later, in the 1970's in Phoenix, my keys were stolen and the Twiskee was lost to me forever. I recently started looking to replace it, and found 3 keys on E-bay, but so far no lock. They keys I bought off E-bay are twisted in different directions, and I've tried them on all my old locks--hey! I can dream, can't I?? Do you have any idea where I can find a lock? Thanks, Sylvia

Default Sold Twiskee

I have sold the lock that previously had available.

Has anybody disassembled a Twiskee lock? I have three bodies (one without shackle, one without key, and a working key/lock). I intend to dig into the body-only one but none of the three show any clue how they were assembled.

I've never owned, yet alone disassembled a twiskee padlock, but given it looks as if they are brass body padlock, the following may help.

I'm sure you've seen the telltale marks on brass pin tumbler padlocks, showing where the plugs covering the pin chamber drillings etc are?

If you cannot find such marks anywhere on your lock, take a ball pein hammer and use the ball side of it to tap gently all over the housing. Any brass plugs will become visible & hopefully this will get you started in the right direction.

Hope that helps,

...Mark

Yes, I've seen pins on brass padlocks and I've assumed the visibility is due to slight differences in alloys between the body and the pins. The hammer trick sounds interesting, I may try that. I was also thinking of milling the sides to clean off grinding marks and patina. If all else fails, just start milling away a side until something shows up!

I did get a Twiskee lock apart. It was a basket case from the start because the shackle had been broken off right at the heel and the key would not do much of anything. I started by milling the toe side clean, and discovered the faint outline of a plug. This was drilled and tapped then a screw was used to pull out the plug and a spring:

Name:	IMG_0375_3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	14042

I couldn't get anything else out due to corrosion so I decided to attack the top next, but filed down the bottom so it would be fairly flat and rest nicely on the milling vise. But that made me notice an annular plug:

Name:	IMG_0377_1_1_2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	14043

So this ring was drilled and tapped (but I guessed wrong, trying 4-40 which was too big, and tried again with 2-56) and pulled out. The locking parts were removed, the shackle remnant was released, and the locking bar pushed out. Here's everything arranged more or less in order:

Name:	IMG_0382_1_1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	14044

On the right, 4th from the end, the tall item I'll call the "warding plug". It's what contains the the twisted slot for the key, and in this model some protrusions that match grooves on the key. On the left end of that string of parts is an actuator cup which has a pin that cooperates with a groove in the locking bar (top item in the vertical string of parts). Cleverly, the locking bar has a spring-loaded pin that needs to be depressed before it can moved by the actuator. That's why the key has the small tip which extends through a hole in the actuator, to move the pin out of the way.

Most parts are non-magnetic and thus brass or other alloy, including the springs and warding plug. But the shackle and locking bar are steel (also the key) and that's what apparently caused the lock to sieze up followed by destructive removal.

I have another example that is siezed up and missing the key, and another that is complete and works well but the key looks like a cheap "recent" one compared to the one shown above.

A problem of sorts with the one that works is that it unlocks by twisting the key counter-clockwise. I always forget that and most padlocks unlock the other direction. I wonder if that's one reason these were not more popular.

I also would like to know how the warding plug was manufactured.

What an unusual idea- if I hadn't seen it here I'd never have believed a manufacturer would've come up with something like that, especially those spiral keys.

The 'warding plug' is noticeably short, which figures on something with such a difficult internal shape to produce. My 2 guesses would be #1 that it's cast, as the internal profile wouldn't present a problem for 2 male dies spiralled into the mould from both ends- especially if it's modern enough for die-casting.

Or #2, if it looks like it's been cut or machined internally (probably difficult to tell though from use and wear from keys), then my guess would be the spirals broached through as it's amazing what internal shapes can be done.

Thread Information