Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old Diebold vault door for sale on eBay

There is currently an old round Diebold vault door for sale on eBay, search for "Diebolt". It's in a Texas bank, in the basement. The seller warns "This will be difficult and costly to remove".

It looks very nice based on the auction images. But I'd be surprised if it sells, especially since they seem to be in a hurry. Sadly I expect it will get scrapped, unless I win the lottery in the next few days.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

A few quick observations based on the images --

Though the door is open, the boltwork is in the locked position. The bank probably did this to prevent anyone from closing (and locking) the door. Could this have caused some damage if somebody "played" with the door and tried to shut it?

The door looks almost exactly like a few Herring-Hall-Marvin door images I have. It also looks like US patent 816,049 ( Benjamin F. Tripp, filed in 1905). This begs the question, did HHM contract with Diebold for manufacturing, or vice-versa? They could have both licensed the Tripp patent but the similarities are striking and suggest one maker.

On the day gate there is one bar that looks like it is covered by a stained wood dowel, I assume this is where one is supposed to grab the gate for opening and closing. Note too there seems to be a bell on the inside to announce operation.

Yes that is a really nice door. Based on the age of the building which is fairly new, it sounds like the building would like to use the space. I agree that is a HHM door and it was probably renovated and resold by Diebold when that building was built. The Diebold name is pretty plain jane for a door that nice. And it would most likely have Diebold timelock and combs, not the Yale products which HHM did use. The wood on the daygate was just to prevent the metal from staining and rusting. And the bell was pretty common on daygates. I didn't have that Tripp patent but I do know he was a big player back then. One of the downtown Cleveland banks was designed by Tripp. Keep up the good work and good luck on the lottery. Doug

Question about the connecting rods: They appear to have a brass turnbuckle in the middle. Was this for adjusting the length of individual bolts, or was it merely a connect/disconnect used for servicing a bolt?

BTW a related patent regarding the pressure system is 880,179.

The auction has been updated with an estimate of $50,000 to $100,000 for removal. Otherwise it will remain in place.

I looked through the patent and it looks like the turnbuckle could be used for adjustment but to remove the bolt, the ball socket would have to be removed as it was slightly larger. There was also an overall bolt throw positioning provision. Thanks for the other patent #. I am slowly learning how to google patent search. Also the answer to your question about damage if a door is shut with the bolts extended is a definite maybe. Depending on the speed it is closed it can do as little as dents in the jamb to as much as a major malfunction. This is true of round door safes and vaults with projecting bolts in general. Doug

Default Is this door still for sale?

I simply need to know if this door still for sale if it is please contact me @ mdurmeier82@yahoo.com if not I would like to know as well

Since the auction is long gone, here are the images from it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	15806 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	15807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	15808 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	15809 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-5.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	15810 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-6.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	15811 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-7.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	15812 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-8.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	15813 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-10.jpg 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	15814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-11.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	15815 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-0.jpg 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	15816 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910s-Texas-12.jpg 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	15817

Thread Information