Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default E.phillips & son , bristol

Hi, I have recently purchased this E.Phillips & Son, Bristol safe and would like to try and restore to its near original looks as the person I bought it from said that it was a different colour and had a gold stripe around the door which he could only see small parts of due to paintwork missing, I have tried doing research for this safe for pictures and its manufacturer on the internet but cannot find anything. Has anybody got any info on E.Phillips Bristol or any pictures of similar safes?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00073.JPG   DSC00072.JPG   DSC00075.JPG   DSC00077.JPG   DSC00080.JPG  

DSC00082.JPG   DSC00083.JPG   DSC00085.JPG  

Default E-phillips safe

No. it is not.

Your safe was made by Bent Steel.

Having looked at the inside, this give a better impression of what the outside would have looked like. The Red stripe would more than likely have been the same/similar to its outside.

Green was a colour used on the lower graded safes of the time, Red became a second strenth, Blue a 3rd strength & so on.

I also noticed that someone had removed the back pan bolts & refitted them in the wrong holes. Plus, you appear to have extra holes on the door, presumable for a much larger brass plaque.

Be careful if stripping down. Its original paint could be lead based. At present, the rather garish green is a modern paint. You could strip a test area with rag & stripper. You mat find out if its original lines were gold or dark red

Russell
    Withy Grove

Thread Information