Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Very Very old lock Yale

Im trying to sell this lock i found at my mom's...its Yale & Towne mfg.co ...not sure of year..looks 1800's....EMAIL IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.. TCUZ214@GMAIL.COM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10401.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	4014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10399.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	4015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10397.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	4016
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 04-01-11 at 03:55 AM.

That is a Yale model 730½ and I am pretty sure was in production from the 1930's until the 1970's.
    BBE.

Billy do you know what that lock may have been used for? Switch lock maybe? I would guess outside use being it used levers. Not bad shape for a lock of 40-80 years. Its odd shape is a question of: "why would you build it like that?"
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 04-01-11 at 03:58 AM.

I've seen this lock with about 8 - 10 different RR marks on them. RR lock collectors call this lock the "Figure 8".

This is a Railway switch lock. The shape allows the user to grab a hold of the lock and use it like a handle while hooking the shackle through the staple of whatever it will be locking up. It is a neat design and I see them at lock shows quite a bit. Here are some pics of one in my collection:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...P1010058-3.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...P1010059-3.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...P1010060-5.jpg

I don't think these are as old as some people think. The one at the top of the thread must have seen a lot more weather than mine has.....but more rust doesn't make it older. As to value, I paid $30.00 for mine with an original key, most of the original finish intact, and a non-rusted chain. I don't think it was a steal.....he had many of them all for that same price. So, I guess it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it on eBay.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
    The Amazing Michael~Escape Artist/Scuba Diver/Locksmith/Lock, Handcuff, and Restraint Collector......and one HELL of a model American! =)

Thread Information