Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help. Anyone got photos of old type bridge ward key machine?

Many years ago I saw a photo of an old type bridge ward key machine. I can't locate it. Can anyone out there help with a photo. Also can anyone point me in the right direction for info on how some of the old high quality keys were made, in particular shank decoration. Were they cut in or forged or both? The only guide I can find at the moment is Parke's Encyclopaedia.

Default Re: Help. Anyone got photos of old type bridge ward key machine?

No photos but as I understand it the castings were finished on a modified lathe and the wards cut by hand with chisels ..

Default Re: Help. Anyone got photos of old type bridge ward key machine?

Can you remember anything regards in what way the machine worked?
    The turned decoration on British keys was quite simple. You will normally see a pin mark on the bit end of a pin key and also another one within the bow (centrally on the end of the shaft). The lathe pivot on the bit end is straitforward. On the bow end the pivot is G shaped.
    Cheers
    Tom

Default key shank decoration

To elaborate Tom Gordon's answer:
    With the key spinning in a small lathe, for most keys, the decorative turnings and cuttings were all formed together by a cutting tool like a large pair of nutcrackers. It had shaped cutter(s), and was squeezed onto the shank, forming all the several incised lines etc. together very quickly. It had long handles so it was easy to press together. Keys which had bulbous turnings were initially drop forged in dies which blanked the shank, then the hand cutter finished the shaping. Several profiles were common. These cost more, because the dies had a more limited life, and new dies cost money. Also, they needed a heavier thump, which was hard, slower work with a fly press!

Thread Information