Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Can you ID this Key?

I got this key recently for my grandson who collects keys.
    I have never seen one like this and am wondering if any of you
    can share any information about it. The thing I find most unusual
    is that it has a screw in the tip of the shaft. Any information will be very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Key 2.JPG   Key 1.JPG  

Default Can you ID this key?

Yes, this is an unusual key. Have you tried to unscrew the screw at the tip? I suspect the bit (i.e. the flag-like projection) can be removed. I don't know who made it, but it probably dates from the mid-19th century. Your grandson should be pleased with this addition to his collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    Yes, this is an unusual key. Have you tried to unscrew the screw at the tip? I suspect the bit (i.e. the flag-like projection) can be removed. I don't know who made it, but it probably dates from the mid-19th century. Your grandson should be pleased with this addition to his collection.
    I agree with Scott, perhaps the screw allows the bit to be removed for duplicating or interchange purposes?

Pete Schifferli

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scott klemm View Post
    yes, this is an unusual key. Have you tried to unscrew the screw at the tip? I suspect the bit (i.e. The flag-like projection) can be removed. I don't know who made it, but it probably dates from the mid-19th century. Your grandson should be pleased with this addition to his collection.
    thank you scott.
    I am now able to give my grandson a little background about this key.
    Bob

There are two reasons I can come up with for the screw being there. One it is so that the bit can be installed on the stem after it is cut or replace it later if it if it needed to be replaced due to a lock change. Two it was easier to make the bit separate from the rest of the key for when they turned the stem.

I will agree it is not a normal key. Very few have that screw that I have seen.

Also something else to think about is when you give the key also give the link to this site so he can expand the knowledge on the rest of his collection and learn more.

Thread Information