Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Info Needed on an Independent Lock Company key maker

I have this key maker that I need info on. I'm interested in selling it also if anyone knows whom would be interested in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010041.JPG   P1010045.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I have this key maker that I need info on. I'm interested in selling it also if anyone knows whom would be interested in it.
    The Improved Duplex Key Cutting Machine will duplicate accurately cylinder keys, flat steel keys, and the lever cuts of bit keys, without the necessity of changing cutters.
    Quote is from Ilco Catalog No. 12, copyright 1941. Your machine is probably ca. 1930s. These early machines were well made of cast iron and yours had a shipping weight of 50 lbs. After many years of use, they can become worn and inaccurate as the hardened steel shafts ride on iron castings without any anti-friction bearing surfaces. A machinist can install bronze bushings to alleviate this problem. Ilco began business in 1922 and moved to Rocky Mount, NC in 1974 where they are still active today. Although your machine may have some value to a collector, and appears to be in good condition, it would have little practical use in a modern locksmith shop. Contemporary duplicators are more streamlined, some are automatic and most have many additional operating features unfortunately rendering your machine rather obsolete. I have seen similar models for sale at around $100.00. I hope this information is useful.

Pete Schifferli

That is a model 177 Duplex key machine. That is all I can add to this.

Default MINUTE instead of Duplex

I have a key machine in good condition but on the logo it say's Minute instead of Duplex. I would like to know the history on this key machine like the year and is it of value. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gonzales1972 View Post
    I have a key machine in good condition but on the logo it say's Minute instead of Duplex. I would like to know the history on this key machine like the year and is it of value. Thanks
    The Minute was made in the same era as the Duplex, ca. 1930-1970. The Duplex had two cutters and was intended primarily to cut cylinder and flat keys while the Minute had had three cutters to make cylinder, flat and bit keys. I actually have an older Minute in my shop which I use occasionally. I've seen them selling in pristine condition for as much as $500.00. Many Ilco key machines were also sold under the Keil marque, an Ilco sister company. Attached are thumbnails of the two machines for comparison, Duplex on the left and Minute on the right.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IlcoDuplex177ImprovedSimonSays.jpg   IlcoMinute179ImprovedSimonSays.jpg  

I used to work in a shop that had a reputation for making flat, bit and antique lock keys (and made a good bit of money doing it, as well as for fitting keys to older locks). We had similar machine and used it quite a bit.

Default minute machine jaws needed.

Hi all, 19 Nov 2015.

I'm looking for parts for the bit key vise tower of an old Ilco minute machine.
    I need replacement lower jaws of both the upper and lower vises,- the narrow ends.
    Both lower jaws have removable, screw in inserts...I need the inserts.
    I'm trying to restore the machine.
    The inserts are hardened.
    I could use a new large slotter cutter for it also.

If anyone has a complete minute machine in any condition for sale please let me know.

Also looking for a 6 cutter turret machine like the Ilco 2196 / keil6&1/2 any condition.

Any leads appreciated.
    thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by goldpro View Post
    Hi all, 19 Nov 2015.
    I'm looking for parts for the bit key vise tower of an old Ilco minute machine.
    I need replacement lower jaws of both the upper and lower vises,- the narrow ends.
    Both lower jaws have removable, screw in inserts...I need the inserts.
    I'm trying to restore the machine.
    The inserts are hardened.
    I could use a new large slotter cutter for it also.
    If anyone has a complete minute machine in any condition for sale please let me know.
    Also looking for a 6 cutter turret machine like the Ilco 2196 / keil6&1/2 any condition.
    Any leads appreciated. thanks Tom
    Randy Main of Main's Lock Supply collects and sells used key machines, you might check with him to see if he can help. Website here: (no eMails)
    http://www.iccores.com/
    Short of finding a parts machine, it may be necessary to have a machinist make the jaws you need.
    The original large slotter on the Minute is Ilco #3FSHS which is 2-1/2" OD x .055" thick x 3/8" arbor, still available from locksmith suppliers for $33.07 suggested dealer.

Pete Schifferli

Hi Pete,

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I was hoping you would chime in.
    Randy seems to have a email box in his contact area
    so I sent him a message. If I don"t hear back next week
    I'll call him.
    If it comes to making them I 'll probably have a go at that myself.
    Then figure out how to harden them.
    Can I trouble you for a link where I can buy the slotter cutter for $33.07.

There's a turret machine on ebay in florida now
    but the seller won't ship to Canada :-(

thanks again.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by goldpro View Post
    Hi Pete,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    I was hoping you would chime in.
    Randy seems to have a email box in his contact area
    so I sent him a message. If I don"t hear back next week
    I'll call him.
    If it comes to making them I 'll probably have a go at that myself.
    Then figure out how to harden them.
    Can I trouble you for a link where I can buy the slotter cutter for $33.07.
    There's a turret machine on ebay in florida now
    but the seller won't ship to Canada :-(
    thanks again.
    Tom
    Tom,
    Randy doesn't do eMail, it's just one of his little foibles! Click on your province at the link to find the Ilco rep who should be able to direct you to distributor(s) in your area. ($33.07 is US dollars, dealer net price, also try Google):
    http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key-systems...72/canada.html

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information