Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, the locks are certainly worth a few pounds, and the door would be worth money to someone interested in getting it. However, you are right in saying that the costs of removal are likely to be about the same as the cost of the door.

I got a safe like that last year, I was the only person prepared and able to collect it.

If the OP was to scrap it, I'd be interested if it was anywhere nearby. Hint, hint.

NKT

The options that I have are either to scrap the door or leave it in place. If you are interested in it, then I am sure that we could come to an arrangement regarding removal etc.

I am located in North East Scotland, so that may limit your interest.

I've dropped you a PM.

NKT
    I didn't receive your PM, so I tried to send one to you. It appears that the PMs are sticking in the outbox. I will enter my e-mail address on my profile for the next hour or so and you can contact me direct.

Regards
    Kris

Default Additional information ..

This is being posted as additional information, recieved from a third party.

--

I came across the entry by the above regarding an old Chubb SRD which he has inherited with the property.

I can add a small footnote to the correspondance. During the late 50's and early 60's, at the height of the safeblowing period, an unsuccessful attempt was made to blow open a Ratner Ranalloy Quality Bankers Safe at a branch of the Clydesdale Bank in Croftfoot, Glasgow.

As I was opening the safe, the Premises Manager of the bank, James Miller, who was responsible for security, asked me why the safe had resisted such an attempt. I explained the theory of the automatic anti-explosive device and mentioned that such devices were standard in all Ratner Cash safes made since 1918. He was shocked to find on further inquiry that none of the other British safemakers incorporated this type of relocker. There were devices of sorts fitted to the likes of Chatwood, Chubb, Milner, Tann and Hobbs Hart cash safes, but all relied on a detonation or other form of lock displacement (ie thermal cutting) taking place to activate the device, whereas the Ratner 'safety bolt' went on guard in conjunction with the locking of the safe.

The Bank then ordered a survey of their cash safes by all their safe suppliers with a view to retro-fitting some form of effective relocker. The result was that all the Milner List 5s, Tann Bankers and Security Night Deposit Safes, Chatwood, etc, were all upgraded, but as many of the older Chubb safes and doors were constructed with the boltwork incorporated in the fire chamber which in turn was only attached to the outer door plate by multiple screwing, a method had to be found to try and hold the entire lockcase intact in the event of an explosion in the locks. Hence the heavy reinforcing bolts as shown.

Incidentally, this Bank Premises Manager was the same one as mentioned in my safeman website / scrapbook / Shettleston Road Bank Robbery, who, on realising that safe keys could be impressioned and copied, had all the Bank safes changed from key to combination lock, and then subsequently fitted with time locks as well when he learned that keyless combination locks were not as impregnable as he had been led to believe.

Sorry to go on so long - I could just have said that, as one correspondant mentioned, they could just be a security modification.

Regards

John.

Thread Information