Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chubb Strong Room Door c/w locks

I have recently taken over a property that was formally a bank. In this building is a Chubb manufactured strong room door.

Can anyone give me any assistance on how to trace the history of the door etc. I believe that there are serial numbers on the bolts that close the door. I will try and get some pictures posted later today.

Thanks
    Kris

Serial numbers of the door can roughly date it, the locks are also numbered and may help further.

Depends on just what you wish to know ...

Pictures will certainly help.

Cheers,

When I get home tonight, I'll have a look and post some further details.

I am primarily interested in dating the door, finding out the model etc.

Regards
    Kris

Pictures as promised.

- Message edited by Admin to reduce picture size -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pict0233_200.jpg   pict0231_954.jpg   pict0234_180.jpg   pict0232_146.jpg   pict0228_209.jpg  

The serial number dates it to late in 1923 by my estimation.

The door looks heavier than a std book quality, especially with those very large additional bolts - although they may be a later addition added to improve the door still further.

Your next port of call will be to contact Chubb safes and ask them to check the sales records for that serial number, (they will charge you about 30 quid) and see what they say. Please post your findings ..

Thanks for the info.

Do you know how to get in contact with Chubb since they no longer make safes. Will Chubb still have the safe records or will it be the new company.

Regards
    Kris

Contact Gunnebo, they do still have the safe records on microfiche.

0870 600 6665

You may have to persevere to speak with the right person ...

That should keep the biscuits from getting pilfered!

Are you keeping the door, or are you doing the place up? If you've got keys, the vault would be a very secure store for valuables. The door itself is worth money, too. Don't sell it for scrap!

If you don't have a key(s) then a good locksmith (rather than a handyman or driller-killer) will be able to make up a key from the lock with a few hours work.

I am doing the place up. I originally wanted to remove the complete strong room but it is VERY expensive, so I though that I may just removed the door and fram and use the strong room as a corridor to an existing room.

Do you have any idea of what the value is for the door? I wouldn't have thought there were many people in the market for it. I still have the original keys so it is fully working. Also if the door has value, where would I begin to look to sell it?

Any info that assists me would be appreciated. Anyone who wants to buy it, let me know. I'll e-bay it at £0.99 and £1000 shipping!!!

Regards
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by NKT
    That should keep the biscuits from getting pilfered!

Are you keeping the door, or are you doing the place up? If you've got keys, the vault would be a very secure store for valuables. The door itself is worth money, too. Don't sell it for scrap!

If you don't have a key(s) then a good locksmith (rather than a handyman or driller-killer) will be able to make up a key from the lock with a few hours work.
    Yes the door is worth money - but not much and generally the costs of removal outweigh the value of the door ...

Thread Information