Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default McRoy of Manchester

Hello,

I am looking for safe plaques and some information if anyone can help.

My grandfather is the last of the McRoy family of safe makers and locksmiths. As far as we know his grandfather Thomas started the business, possibly with the help of his father-in-law, Jesse Withers.

We know that they made safes under the name of McRoy Manchester and that they also exported a lot to India and that the export safes had an elephant on the plaque.

Does anyone know where I could find a safe plaque from a McRoy safe? Grandad is approaching a significant, landmark birthday and even a really good picture of one would be a good start.

Also, if anyone knows anything about the history of the business, I would be very grateful.

Grandad is still very lucid and if anyone has something that they would like him to verify or to ask about locksmithing he may be able to do it.

thank you

Claire

hi, i have a safe of that make that i would consider selling for the right price if this would be of any interest to you please email me at hayley-hawkins@live.co.uk or phone 07938140137 thank you.

If he was a safe or locksmith from that line I would be sure to get as much out of him about this NOW. I was born after my grandfather passed so I wasn't able to know half of the questions I have now. Also lock history maybe in his head! Go and have several conversations. Find things to ask about. I bet he would love the attention.

Thank you for the advice, I'll be in touch.

Thread Information