Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unusual Mexican Furniture Safe

ELCORO LOPEZ Y Ca. is the name on the safe badge. Approximately 300-400 lbs. this unusual safe uses a 4 dial comb and 2 keylocks on the outer door. It is made of wood with metal overlay and has 2 interior keylocking compartments. Believe it was made in the later 1800's. $2800 located in Cleveland, Ohio Doug MacQueen 216-375-6009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1810.jpg   DSCN1811.jpg   DSCN1812.jpg  

Default Keys & Dimensions

Doug, Great safe. Can you post an image of the keys? Also, what are the dimensions and is everything fully functional? Best, Jim

It would appear that the 4 dial lock is missing and has been removed. Sad to see that....

Dean the lock isn't missing but it does seem like a trim plate might be. The 4 studs you see are what holds the lock to the door and are part of the comb plate which mounts into the door face. The lock is almost surely of European origin. No name on it but I have seen another just like on a French safe. It has two inside lever keylocks made by Fernando Essen??? of Germany. The outside main operating key under left rosette is a tiny Bramah type and the right hand lever keylock is somewhat primative and I am not quite finished with the key. Other pics and dimensions will be posted soon.

Ok, I would think that the inside and outside pictures show 4 dials with letters on them. The inside shows 4 spindles that would be for 2 locks or one lock case with 4 wheels to be placed so they would block the two ends of the upper and lower bolt works. Am I the only one that sees this in this design? Maybe it just was an option that was never installed. Who knows.....

That would make it hard to get in if it had dial and two keys.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 12-10-10 at 02:04 AM.

Doug, Also when posting the other images, can you post an image of the thickness of the door? If the door is fairly thick, I suspect that the combination lock maybe inbedded... Jim

Is it common to embed a safe lock in a door and have not access to the lock? Just wondering.

Default 4 dial lock

These two pics should answer some questions. And probably raise others. In the one pic my finger is on the bar that goes thru the door to the boltwork and blocks the boltwork when the comb is locked. That bar is fixed directly to the 4 way center pivoting fence, stump, dog or whatever. The additional weight of that bar on the 4 way fence causes it to to lightly rest itself against the wheels. The combination wheels are also reset by forcing the bar downward causing the fences to fully seat into each wheel as shown in that same picture. The lock does not have to be removed to accomplish this task. As to locks sometimes being embedded the answer is unfortunately sometimes yes but mostly in the earlier to mid 1800's in the US. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1815.jpg   DSCN1819.jpg  

Doug thanks for the new images. I see where/how this appears to function, but it doesn't look like the "other" slot in the bar was associated with this combination portion. What does it appear to have been for? Perhaps it is missing a cover bolt there? Lastly, can you post images of the keys and the open backs of the 2 key locks? Thanks again, Jim

Ok, Sorry I had thought there was a space for a lock and it wasn't there, but you had removed the lock to show the bolt work better. That lock is cool!

Thread Information