Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Grecian PO Box Door Maintenance, Repair and Combination Change

I have a bunch of Grecian PO box doors that I am making into banks for the grand-kids.

Some of them are hard to open and the combinations don't line up exactly with the letter on the door front.

Is there a site that addresses maintenance and repair of this type of lock?

3226d1276223632t unlocking grecian po box door mail box lock 001

Thanks,
    Jim

This type of lock wasn't produced to be really high level lock like say a safe lock. If you are close and it works I wouldn't worry about it too much. Be sure to lube the contact points or the points that are moving against each other with a good grease, just a bit on the finger tip so you can feel it but not see it. It shouldn't take much at all. You might find that lube is most of the problem. Don't use a spray lube as that will not last.

Thanks.

Seeing they are for the grand-kids, I was just trying to eliminate the B-, H+, C type of combination.

I'll give them a good cleaning and lube job.

I read somewhere that cleaning the doors with a 50/50 solution of ammonia and Pepsi works. Sounds strange to me. Know anything about this?

Jim

Do it outside and wear a filtering mask for caustic stuff and gloves. Be SAFE when using something like that. Cola is an acid.

I think the kids will find it cool that even if someone was to find the combo they can't get in unless they know about the +/-.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 03-10-10 at 10:41 PM.

You can remove the two outer screws on the back of the combination to clean and reset the combo. I've done this on several of the banks I've made. I use aerosol gun cleaner and blow it dry, then spray it lightly with aerosol gun lube.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information