Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Norfolk & Western Yale & Towne railroad lock

Hi would like some help in valuing this lock. I have the original key and opens great and has a nice patina. Any guess as to age would be appreciated as well.Has on Lock NWClick image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiqueLockno2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	3649
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiqueLockno1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	3648

There is collector interest in these older Yale locks. Yale & Towne was formed around 1883 so your lock is no older than that, but I would guess it was made in the early 1900's to 1940's. As to it being a railroad lock, I wouldn't think it would have been used outdoors, switch locks are mostly brass construction and the keys are for the most part barrell style. That's not to say it's not a RR lock,but I'm just not sure what the application would have been. Most RR lock collectors are looking for locks with logos on them or the RR name on them ( on the lock body ).Either way I still think your lock is worth at least $35-$40 with the origional working key. Maybe BBE will log in and give his view. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

I would agree with that time frame. Application would be on something inside if that had seen use. Maybe a mail car or something like that, but unless you can find a historian for that rail line or railroad in general is the only way you will find out what they might have used padlocks for inside for sure. I would widen the price range a little bit $30-50.... it all comes down to that rail line and how many padlocks were out there of this type. I wish we had a RR lock collector in our membership.... (Please speak up!)

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    Maybe BBE will log in and give his view. Mark
    Thanks Mark, I agree with the dates and values you suggest. It is a Railroad Lock by virtue of being marked NW, which is the Norfolk & Western RailRoad which I think was headquartered in Roanoke, VA. They later merged with the Southern Railroad and the name changed to Norfolk Southern and eventually moved headquarters to Norfolk, VA.

That lock and hundreds like were most likely C-S locks, (communication and Signal). It is very likely that the lock in the picture never saw duty and that is why it has the original key and is in such good shape. C-S locks are used outside but typically have a flap of something over them to keep them fresher. They used to be found on all of those little shacks by the side of the railroad and on the crossing arms boxes. Many crossing arm box locks have gone the way of the caboose and are now RACO's.
    BBE.

Thanks to all the guys who responded about my lock. This helps when you know a little about the lock in question. There are so many repros and other things that are being sold as orginial, good to know that if we need help this is the place. Donboss

Thread Information