Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Can this lock be identified please?

Found this lock with my metal detector in an old school yard construction area. Any information pertaining to it would be greatly appreciated.

I have found hundreds of skeleton keys and many interesting locks through the years and any background historic info helps enhance the joy of finding it.

Thank you,
    Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SimLock-b.JPG   SimLock-f.JPG  

I can't say anything about the maker or the firm it was made for, but if the C Q D distress call was in use when the lock was made (as seems likely) then you can date the lock from 1904 to 1912.

Default Can you identify this lock.

The lock is a commemorative lock for the sinking of the Titanic, thus the CQD instead of the SOS. Made by the Slaymaker Lock Co. it 2 inches high. Value approx $60.00

Default Re: Can you identify.MADE for SIMMONs Hardware like KK lock

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTN1701
    The lock is a commemorative lock for the sinking of the Titanic, thus the CQD instead of the SOS. Made by the Slaymaker Lock Co. it 2 inches high. Value approx $60.00
    Hi,
    Thought I would add to the mystery of this lock. It was made for the Simmons Hardware stores. The most recognized Simmons lock was the Keen Kutter LOGO lock. Since this lock was offered for sale in the 1910 catalog, it wasn't originally intended to be associated with the TITANIC since it sank 2 years after this lock was made. I just think the theme...wireless and distress signals were the buzz words of the time for ships..etc.... Please see attached picture from the KeenKutter Simmons catalog. Hope this clears things up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cqdsimmonslock1910.jpg  

It's interesting that the green enamel looks like verdgris now, and has nearly all vanished from the lock.

I'd suspect that the lock was a promotional device for selling the wireless, which as a great selling point could be used to call out for help far more effectively than using a signal lamp ever could.

Thread Information