Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default any ideas which escutcheon would fit?

Hi all,

i have posted on another part of the site regarding my safe, i am struggling to find an escutcheon that will fit.

The holes are off set, please see the picture attached. I have been looking for a spindle and escutcheon that would fit the where the previous were.

The safe is a shop safe, quite old, and the spindle and escutcheon were broke off during an attempted break in. the safe was from a Montague Burton shop, the original Burtons clothes shop

It has been suggested the safe may be a Tann

Any suggestions would be welcomed

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00680.jpg   DSC00676.jpg  

I hate to say it but you maybe in a point that you may have to make something or call in a safe tech that does this for a living. The safe tech maybe has something or will have to make something. Chances are not good you will find something.

The design on the door is very much like that on a Tann seen somewhere else. If you get stuck and want to get something made, I can cast a bronze escutcheon to your dimensions. My number is 216-375-6009 Doug

Default It aint no Tann

Had to stick the boot in here. My opinion is that this safe has the pattern used by Perry's safes.

Its colour also indicates a lower grade unit. Age Appears to be C 1920

Although Oldlock would say something different, my experience tells me this. I do not, & have never seen a Tann with offset fixings to its escutcheon.

Russell
    Withy Grove

You know much more than I in this. We don't see many here in the states that have lever locks much less key locks. This site is for all of us to get involved and share what we know about when and were it might be made... before that is lost. If someone needing parts for something is directed to those who maybe have the part, so much the better.

Can't add much, I wonder if the escutcheon was a sprung flap type? Maybe with a hidden release. I must admit such escutheons that I have seen tend to come from older looking safes.

Hi all,

thanks for your input and ideas

The search continues, i am starting to wonder if the escutcheon was made to spec.

I have tried contacting the company for information they may have but from the response i got i don't think they care as much about the project...arh well

I may well take you up on the offer of having something made Doug. i will let you know when i give up searching

I have seen the same pattern on a similar safe on Ebay, i am trying to get hold of a better picture to see the makers name.

I have taken the drawers inside to be re-keyed and my local locksmith thinks it could be a cox safe.

I will be checking the gazateer for some information, will let you know how i get on

Thumbs up Unknown safe escutcheon

After further thought, I can throw in the safe maker George Price.
    Their escutcheon plates do have offset fixings, so perhaps we may have hit the nail on the head.

If you could post the angle & distance of the fixing holes, i'll look at the Price plates in my safe showroom.

Regards
    Russell

Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd

Default Montague Burton Safe.

Hi.
    Thought this picture would help .
    Patent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MONTAGUE BURTON.jpg  

Thread Information