Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default selling agent for Diebold in Cleveland, Ohio late 1800's

The maker of this safe is Diebold from canton, ohio. It has a selling agnt's name on it though I can not make out the full name. The letters I can make out are as such... "FIS???COX, AGN'T Cleveland, O. There may be more or less letters in the name. The only pictures I have of it are too big to upload. I will work on "trimming" them down. (The safe has since been sandblasted.) The safe is "Patented March, 27th, 1877". The agnt' was located in Cleveland, ohio. Does anyone know of what this selling agent's name may be? I have contacted Diebold through their website yet they know not who it was. Thank you to anyone who may be able to help. Till then...I will work on the photo.

Default Picture of Diebold safe agn't name

Here is a close-up picture prior to sandblasting. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shrunken4.JPG  

The patent date is probably US patent 188,775 "Fire-Proof Safe" by William H. Butler. This only establishes that the safe was made after March 27, 1877.

In 1879 the agent was Thomas Brett but that could easily have changed over the years. If you have access to a good library in Ohio, you might be able to find some Cleveland city directories which might list Diebold agents. I tried Google Books but was not successful.

Default Thanks...

Wow..thank you Wylk! Maybe I'll just put that name on it.

There is an eBay seller constantly offering a wonderful-looking old print (reproduction) supposedly from 1879 that lists Brett as the agent. The art work is great IMHO. Do a search for "diebold brett" and enlarge the image. I've been meaning to buy one of these, some day.

Jim

Red face Cool...thank you

I'm there dude...Thanks!!

Neither the Cox or Brett names strike a chord but that doesn't mean much as I have seen many Diebolds but don't always pay attention to dealer names. GEO. F. WILSON AG'T. CLEVELAND, O. is one I know for sure and would also fit the era of your safe. I agree that patent is probably referring to W. Butler formally of Valentine and Butler as he was also a Diebold dealer in NYC. Doug

Thread Information