Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default National Safe & Lock Co. restoration project

Hello..I am new to this site...just thought I would introduce myself. I am going to attempt to attach a few picts of one of my safes. It is a Nat. Safe from Cleveland, Ohio. I traded some lettering/signwork for it. I have approx. 2 YRS of work thus far in it... From sandblasting to buffing paint to putting back together. I of course have to stripe it yet. I have always been interested in antique safes because of my interest in their pinstriping. Plus the craftsmenship in them is remakable for their era. As of now...I do not want to sell it. I am however curently working on a Diebold safe (1871+/-) as well as a Mosler Bahmann (H.H. Warner Agn'ts). I have 5 antique safes and enjoy every one. Thank you and I look forward to learning what I can here as well as helping if I can. Matt (Nahum 1:7)

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Can't post pictures yet.

Default pictures

Hope this works (Ya rookie)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pics 255.jpg  

Default more picts...

two more pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pics 382.jpg   my pics 381.jpg  

Excellent job!! That safe never looked so good even coming from the factory. Be sure to repost the pics when you have it all striped and finished. Mark

Wonderful! That is one NICE looking safe!
    More pictures! Inside of the bolt work and lock.

Default More picts of Nat Safe project

Sorry...all my cool pictures of boltwork are bigger than 1.43 MB...I know not how to trim them down yet. I will take more picts with dig. camera and see what I get. Glad you like it though. I really have enjoyed getting it to this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pics 033.jpg  

Import them to paint. Then do a "Save As" to a JPG and that should resize it down and you can also change/rotate the picture.

Default condition when I received it

orig. condition...Inner door lock...Outer door lock. I was one happy guy when they delivered it to the shop. WooHoo!!! This was my first safe. I did not know what or how nice it was/could be at the time...I was still grinnin' though. Took me about a year to talk them out of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0607081529a.jpg   100_0829.jpg   100_0835.jpg  

Default bolt work...

thank you for the "how to" on shrinking a picture. I had to "stretch" them a smaller percentage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shrunken1.JPG   shrunken2.JPG   shrunken3.JPG  

Default proposed pinstriping/lettering layout

Here are the proposed designs for the Nat. safe. I designed them in my sign program. (MANY hours worth) They will all be hand-painted. The "yellowish" colours represent the 23KT gold leaf. The flourishes will be shaded/highlighted here and there using a turn-of-the-century method with a product called "asphaltum". Can't wait till I get time to do this part of the project...this is the best part...for me anyhow. Hope you enjoy seeing them. The circles in the designs represent the dials and the name plate. These of course are not a "restoration" version of the original. I don't think I'll get too much flack from the original painter though. Take care. Matt (Nahum 1:7)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NatLayout.jpg  

Thread Information