Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default National Safe & Lock Co. restoration project

Hello..I am new to this site...just thought I would introduce myself. I am going to attempt to attach a few picts of one of my safes. It is a Nat. Safe from Cleveland, Ohio. I traded some lettering/signwork for it. I have approx. 2 YRS of work thus far in it... From sandblasting to buffing paint to putting back together. I of course have to stripe it yet. I have always been interested in antique safes because of my interest in their pinstriping. Plus the craftsmenship in them is remakable for their era. As of now...I do not want to sell it. I am however curently working on a Diebold safe (1871+/-) as well as a Mosler Bahmann (H.H. Warner Agn'ts). I have 5 antique safes and enjoy every one. Thank you and I look forward to learning what I can here as well as helping if I can. Matt (Nahum 1:7)

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Can't post pictures yet.

Default pictures

Hope this works (Ya rookie)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pics 255.jpg  

Default thanks...

Thanks Halflock!!...but it will be a while till I get to it. Been real busy at sign shop as well as trying to get two safes ready for paint before snow flies.

This is a hobby... not a job. If you are having fun doing it then it is a nice thing to do. In my case I totally understand. It took me over a year to take down clean/repair and put back together a lock for my collection. Thankfully I had taken many pictures on how the lock was taken apart. That one lock is one of my nicer ones in my collection I think because I had taken time with it and knew how much time and effort to make is shine.
    Granted not as nice as yours looks.

I am just sick.... I work with locks all day long and then come home and work on them there too.

I am just sick.... I work with locks all day long and then come home and work on them there too.
    I get to that point some times. Esp. when very busy with signshop work. Usually when this happens...I just lock the doors and "play" with my safe projects at night (don't miss any "father/kid time" that way). I am only 37 but am finding it harder to stay up so late. Used to work sometimes through the night and next day even. That doesn't happen anymore. That balance is hard to find. Sometimes I just gotta say "no" to some things. I had my own shop for about 7 yrs then sold it to a sign shop and worked for them full time ("need for steady paycheck" syndrom...mistake). It took me another 7 yrs to get out of there and get my current shop. The "enjoyment" of what God has allowed me to be able to do was getting sucked out. Now I can say that enjoyment has been greatly restored....abundantly. Dad always said "You find a job you enjoy and you'll never have to work." Remeber you get out of it what you put into it. That is why your favorite lock is your favorite lock...it represents your passion and is a product there of. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge on this site. It shows from this end, that you put a lot of time into it. Please post a picture when you get a chance. Take care! Matt (Nahum 1:7)

http://www.antique-locks.com/domesti...ore-after.html

This is one of them. I have been trying to get a bit of time to post some more. This isn't the one that took me a year... ok it took a year between taking it apart, figuring what was wrong and finding the part. Once I had the part I cleaned it and put it all in one nice lock.

i have considered you-tube but only when it is done as an effort to help promote the sale of it. Not sure of the best route to go as to selling it...how to reach the right people. I'm not in a hurry to sell it...maybe that is why it isn't done yet. Antique safe collectors and professional restorers have given me a wide window as to what they believe it's value to be. Perhaps this would be another thread all in its own...but that is for another time. matty...if you want to crop the pictures...have at it.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Doug...thats funny. And you are another reason...however...I seek knowledge...you have it, (and share it) for which I am greatfull. BTW...a lawyer recently perchased a Diebold (with square-corner door) to have me restore it. Just think...I may actually be getting paid to do something else I love. i will get you some pictures when it gets here. It has, unfortunately been painted over so there is a lot of "uncovering" to do. The two i'm working on now are to be painted soon. Trip to Alen's was very worth wild. With I could afford his mini national.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Doug...a guy just gave me (what I believe to be) a money chest by Diebold with a round (non-screw type door). have combo and it works fine. i think it is newer though. It is painted wood-grain. it is approx. 15 deep, 18 wide and 14 tall. On the dial it has a Diebold logo of a shield with Diebold in the middle of it. It will at least paint up nice.

Hi,
    I can't get the glare out of the second pic, I tried everything I could, no kids around right now to help me. The brass is too bright, need a shade next to it and a little straighter angle might help? with a soft light from one side I think?

I put this link up in the lock section, (newer Brahma lock) Matt Blaze @ cryto.com

scroll to the bottom, and he explains how he takes pics, he has a warning up to not copy any of his stuff, so that's why I just put the link.

Bramah Locks

Oh no, not another Matt!

Yeah you're awesome Doug!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails natsafemat 1.jpg   natsafemat 2.jpg   natsafemat 3.jpg   natsafemat 6.JPG   natsafemat 8.JPG  

natsafemat 9.JPG   natsafematt 11.JPG  

Default more picts...

two more pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my pics 382.jpg   my pics 381.jpg  

Excellent job!! That safe never looked so good even coming from the factory. Be sure to repost the pics when you have it all striped and finished. Mark

Thread Information