Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I tell my wife that everyday. Thats why she loves my safe collecting hobby!

Default So nice!!!

Can't wait to see more! (Heaven can wait...lol)

I'll copy, rotate, crop and re size them all in a few minutes, if it's ok with you?

My kids taught me how. I don't want to pester you, but try to find someone local to make a good quality video for you tube???

In my opinion, that would serve it justice!!!

Oh yeah, and never ever lock it!!! (so someone won't break it)

Matty meet Matt. Or vice versa. Matty, you and Matt are pretty much why this forum exists at all. Doug

i have considered you-tube but only when it is done as an effort to help promote the sale of it. Not sure of the best route to go as to selling it...how to reach the right people. I'm not in a hurry to sell it...maybe that is why it isn't done yet. Antique safe collectors and professional restorers have given me a wide window as to what they believe it's value to be. Perhaps this would be another thread all in its own...but that is for another time. matty...if you want to crop the pictures...have at it.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Doug...thats funny. And you are another reason...however...I seek knowledge...you have it, (and share it) for which I am greatfull. BTW...a lawyer recently perchased a Diebold (with square-corner door) to have me restore it. Just think...I may actually be getting paid to do something else I love. i will get you some pictures when it gets here. It has, unfortunately been painted over so there is a lot of "uncovering" to do. The two i'm working on now are to be painted soon. Trip to Alen's was very worth wild. With I could afford his mini national.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Doug...a guy just gave me (what I believe to be) a money chest by Diebold with a round (non-screw type door). have combo and it works fine. i think it is newer though. It is painted wood-grain. it is approx. 15 deep, 18 wide and 14 tall. On the dial it has a Diebold logo of a shield with Diebold in the middle of it. It will at least paint up nice.

Hi,
    I can't get the glare out of the second pic, I tried everything I could, no kids around right now to help me. The brass is too bright, need a shade next to it and a little straighter angle might help? with a soft light from one side I think?

I put this link up in the lock section, (newer Brahma lock) Matt Blaze @ cryto.com

scroll to the bottom, and he explains how he takes pics, he has a warning up to not copy any of his stuff, so that's why I just put the link.

Bramah Locks

Oh no, not another Matt!

Yeah you're awesome Doug!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails natsafemat 1.jpg   natsafemat 2.jpg   natsafemat 3.jpg   natsafemat 6.JPG   natsafemat 8.JPG  

natsafemat 9.JPG   natsafematt 11.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by NatSafeMatt View Post
    Just finished the striping on the inner door...much to do yet though. Sorry if anyone is getting tired of seeing all these pictures...I mean....I've put a lot of them on here?
    I was wondering how you got the scalloping in the gold leaf. Very impressive looking restoration.

Really I don't think anyone here will get tired of seeing a nice job done on some of these safes.

Quote Originally Posted by S Cesar View Post
    I was wondering how you got the scalloping in the gold leaf. Very impressive looking restoration.
    The "scalloping" is created by using what is called a "spinnet" or "spinner"...(deponding on where you're from). It is a small deal that is placed in a drill then spun at high speed and gently pressed into the gold leaf after burnishing and before clear coat is applied. The spinnet is made of a small rounded peice of wood (or like meterial) with a cut off bolt or screw attached to one end and has about 1/2 inch of soft sponge glued to the other end of it. It is then wrapped with a very soft cloth....like velvet. The cloth is held on with an o-ring around the piece of wood. It is impportant not to push too long or hard as it can easilly rub though the gold leaf. They manufacture a 22KT gold leaf vinyl film to mock the real 23KT, hand done "engine turn" gold leaf...but it looks just like that....manufactured. Plus it has that _decal edge" that you can feel....bla. Some things just cant be duplicated by a computer. Have a good week. matt

Thread Information