Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cannot find any information about Tomei combination lock

My father told me this lock has a year as the combination and I have gone through all of the 20th century. It's such a solid and heavy lock, and I'd love to use it or at least be able to unlock it. Can someone help me with this lock? Where did it originate from, is Tomei a company and what was this kind of lock used for? What year is this lock probably from? A possible combination or hints on finding one? The tumblers can be moved, but not easy for small hands.

It is 2 1/2" H x 1 1/2" W

I would appreciate any help and I know my grandsons would appreciate it also.

Tekemom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock 1.jpg   lock 2.jpg   lock 3.jpg   lock 4.jpg  
    Last edited by tekemom; 04-09-10 at 12:09 AM. Reason: additional information

Tekemom, I can't offer you much info on the age or value of your lock as I would think it is probably less than 40 yrs old. I did send you a private message with instructions on opening the lock. If your interested in selling it give me a shout.

Default I spoke at length with my father about this lock....

After WWII ended, he bought this lock at a "five & dime" store in New Orleans. (His hometown) He said he paid $1.69, which was a lot of money for a kid back then. He used it for years as his school locker lock and then for a lock on a blue trunk where he carried R/C airplane engines. He told me to put WD-40 in it and get the chambers moving and he said once it's lubricated, it will spin smoothly and very fast. Don't worry...... I didn't put any WD-40 in it. I have worked quite a bit with the cylinders and they are starting to become loose and I can feel the chambers dropping smoother and smoother. He is sure it is a year - but that is all he can remember. He said after the metal shortage from WWII....it was something he found so intriguing. He said there were no others on the shelf like it....and he has used it for many things since the 40's. He told me it was just something he found very unique, compared to all the other locks.

Being most metals were melted during WWII, I wonder if this is something that may have been on the shelf of the five & dime since before WWII, which is why there is no information on it??

I've tried Tomei, Tomeit and a few other combinations.....still nothing. I will continue working on cracking the lock. It will be quite fun for me. I enjoy solving puzzles myself.

We'll see from here, if I can get these mysteries solved. Again, if anyone knows anything about this lock, the brand etc.... I'd love to know. I know my father was thrilled to see me having so much fun trying to figure out the combination. He smiled when he told his story about when he purchased it, which is always a treasure for me! But as far as puzzles.....the apple does not fall far from the tree.

I will let you all know more, when I learn more. I have a wonderful resource in North Carolina and I am sure he can help me with this.

tekemom

Thread Information