Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting US safelock

This is off an old US safe-anyone any ideas which make?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails us safe-lock.jpg  

external piccie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails us safe.jpg  

With a key mechanism like this, someone must know?!

Well Tom it looks like a Bramah, 7 sliders to the bit, but is it a genuine one or a copy. The key is not original, does it have cuts in it? The body certainly looks American (cast iron). Perhaps the cylinders were sold to the lock/safemaker. How do you know the safe is American? Is it the wheels...
    Last edited by Brian Morland; 05-09-10 at 01:21 AM.

I guessed that it was american from the design, the wheels and the clue that the owner is in America

It seems that several lockmakers in the US made Bramah style locks, including Eagle, Russell & Irwin and Linus Yale Jr, whose patent was taken out after his death by the administrator of his estate – US patent 95,865 dated October 12, 1869. Will keep digging… Unless someone else gets there first!

The safe is a Jos. L. Hall fire safe of Cincinatti, Ohio. There is a similar safe here in Cleveland also sporting that keylock on the inner door although in this case the keylock has been drilled down the keyhole. Hall usually used their own locks so it is unknown who the made that keylock. I believe they were also used on very early Diebold Bahmann safes too. Doug

Many thanks Doug

Default RE; Interesting safe lock...

Hi,
    Thanks for posting that! It seemed so crazy when Doug said it had already been posted.

I have been learning a little about safe history thus far! When I first got this thing, I figured, post a pic and find out what year make and model it is, simple? It's all the name sharing that went on during that time that had me confused...

Another man I spoke with, asked me if it might be a reproduction, so I'll try to post some more pics.

The only markings I can see are the four center punch marks, and the numeral 2 on the back side of the key flap?

Really appreciate if anyone can say if it's a repo, original Brahma, or a copy?

(pics of safe are over on "antique safes and vaults" on this forum, "please help I.D. this safe")

Thanks so much,
    Matt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0274.JPG   102_0222.JPG   102_0218.JPG   102_0275.JPG   102_0288.JPG  

102_0292.JPG   102_0293.JPG   102_0294.JPG  

Here are a couple pics of one of the sliders. Another shot of the back of the lock, and underside of bolt. Thanks

Pics of newer Brahma Bramah Locks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0654.JPG   102_0655.JPG   102_0656.JPG   102_0657.JPG  

Thread Information