Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Not original.

I received this message from Bramah Lock,
    ------------------------------------------

Hi

The lock looks like a copy of Bramah, made probably between 1814 – 51.
    We can’t see any stamping on the lock, that’s why we think it’s not genuine.
    Best regards

Default Bramah Lock on Burke & Barnes circa 1849-1863

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    This is off an old US safe-anyone any ideas which make?
    Had these photos available...thought I would post. This BRAMAH lock came from a Burke&Barnes Safe. I rescued the lock from the broken safe door. It had been outside for years...broken like it was. A very skilled lock collector reconditioned it for me and made a key. Burke & Barnes Started in 1849 from what I found on the internet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BurkeBarnesBramah1.jpg   BurkeBarnesBramah3.jpg   BurkeBarnesBramah5.jpg   BurkeBarnesBramah6.jpg   BurkeBarnesBramah8.jpg  

BurkeBarnesBramah7.jpg   BurkeBarnesBramah10.jpg   burkeBARNESdoor1aa.jpg   burkeBARNESdoor3.jpg  

As you have discovered Bramah themselves did not make your lock, indeed I would go so far as to say I doubt they ever produced a lock with a cast iron body like that.

The Bramah mechanism was copied widely in Europe and in the US by Yale & Mosler and it seems others.

Paul

Default Bramah Design Patent

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    As you have discovered Bramah themselves did not make your lock, indeed I would go so far as to say I doubt they ever produced a lock with a cast iron body like that.

The Bramah mechanism was copied widely in Europe and in the US by Yale & Mosler and it seems others.

Paul
    Thanks for the info Paul... I get it now.

I wonder how foreign design patents worked back then? I guess I just assumed an American Lock company couldn't copy a lock design from another country unless I guess the patent had expired.

Obviously early American Safes had the English design influence not only in the locks but the early construction of the door hinges where the door did not come off.

Also the rectangular locking bolts soon became round.
    Dean

Thread Information