Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Milners safe

Default Milners safe

I have a Milners safe. It was in working order until January this year when I had a flood and the safe was submerged under water for 5 days !!! Now the lock has seized. Where could I find out about having it repaired? Is the safe of any value and worth having repaired ?
    See attached photos.

No photos attached. http://www.antique-locks.com/whats-n...our-posts.html

Mostly it is file size that is the problem. Resize and try again.

As for the repair If you would PM your location and phone # I will forward it onto a safe tech in your area if you like. This way you can get the price and if it is worth saving.

To strip it down, clean and rebuild is going to take several hours. You could expect to pay anything from £100 to £200. If the door edges are corroded making it tight or worse the hinges are seizing it could be way more.
    Probably not worth doing for anything except sentimental reasons. Or if it is six foot tall and stuck in the cellar!
    The safes are from a different age and not really secure compared to many modern safes, it is however far better than nothing and much better than having the cheapo digital safes sold by Argos and the like.
    It would not pass modern fire resistance tests, although the filling should now have plenty moisture content.

If it is locked then plenty WD40 all around the door and down the keyhole. Then more the next day and gently try the key. If it opens or is open DO NOT shut it.

Thread Information