Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chatwood Invincible 8 Lever Safe Lock

For Sale: A nice lock just as removed from the safe and in fine condition although un-cleaned. A must for any collection of patent/safe locks. Marking: ‘Chatwood Patent Invincible’ and ‘12163 Bolton’. Includes a key. Ask any questions here or PM with an offer or swap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chat12163.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	3490

Default Chatwood Invincible 8 Lever Safe Lock

Hi Brian.

The lock looks absolutely magnificent ,just like the day it left the factory and an original key also.
    Do you know the approximate date of manufacture?

Patent.

Default Chatwood's Invincible Lock

Yes, I’m sure it will make a nice addition to a collection. This is what’s known as ‘Chatwoods 2nd Lock’ although not yet fitted with the hardened disc around the keyhole. Therefore I estimate the date to be around 1865. Does anyone have Chatwood dates prior to 1875. The list I have starts at serial number 24621 dated 13th April 1875?

Default Chatwoods Locks

Thanks for the dating information. It's certainly an early example of Chatwood manufactured lock.
    Do you know if the number stamped onto the bow of a original Chatwood key refers to the lock number or is it the safe number?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patent View Post
    Thanks for the dating information. It's certainly an early example of Chatwood manufactured lock.
    Do you know if the number stamped onto the bow of a original Chatwood key refers to the lock number or is it the safe number?
    Thanks.
    There are different series and it could be either the safe or lock number.
    If it is the safe number then 1880 would be the date and my example of that lock has the number 8657 suggesting 1872....or they could be earlier

Does anyone have Chatwood dates prior to 1875?
    1867 safedoor 005000
    1870 safedoor 007500

Default Chatwood lock

Probably a little after the fact but is this still for sale?

Default Key 36747

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Yes, I’m sure it will make a nice addition to a collection. This is what’s known as ‘Chatwoods 2nd Lock’ although not yet fitted with the hardened disc around the keyhole. Therefore I estimate the date to be around 1865. Does anyone have Chatwood dates prior to 1875. The list I have starts at serial number 24621 dated 13th April 1875?
    Good day, I noticed you said your listed started at 24621. I was wondering does your list have number 36747 on it? My son just picked up the key and I was trying to find some info for him on that key. Thanks David

Quote Originally Posted by dx3dubyak View Post
    Good day, I noticed you said your listed started at 24621. I was wondering does your list have number 36747 on it? My son just picked up the key and I was trying to find some info for him on that key. Thanks David
    Autumn 1879

Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply

Thread Information