Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dpappen View Post
    Newbie here. Recently purchased one of my lifelong dreams, a Victor floor safe in nice condition.
    I grew up with one of these in the house but my parents never shared the combination. I remember spending hours and hours trying to "listen" for the combination and crack open their safe, but no success.
    My new safe is missing a lock mechanism and key for the small (4.5X4.5in) interior door and the hinge acorns.
    From my research I think the Louisiana Exhibition seal on the door indicates the safe was built sometime around 1905-1915. I have attached photos of the safe, interior door in question and a scale "rubbing" of the door. Any parts or leads is greatly appreciated!

I have the same exact safe but not in the same condition. (curious what you paid for that one) I'm also missing acorns on the hinges and need to fix a hinge issue with mine. If I can offer any help with the lock mechanism, let me know. I'm happy to take pics, measurements, etc. I do have a lathe and will probably make the acorns at some point when I get some brass and time.

[QUOTE I do have a lathe and will probably make the acorns at some point when I get some brass and time.[/QUOTE]

Make them from aluminum intead...just had some made out of alum. and polished them up...look more original than brass ones. I will post a pictures when time allows.

I don't have the key for the lock on the lock box. If you want the lock and have a way to make or have a key made, it's yours for a few bucks for shipping. Shoot me an address where to send it.

Default aluminum acorns made on lathe...

picture on towel is from a Mosler_Bahmann...mounted is on a Mosler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails acorn1.JPG   acorn2.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by NatSafeMatt View Post
    picture on towel is from a Mosler_Bahmann...mounted is on a Mosler.
    Nice work. I do have a lathe, so that will be a nice little project sometime in the near future. Thanks for the good pictures. That will help me a lot.

NatSafeMatt those finials are sweet, but I would want the threads also.

My old HHM safe looks to have about 7/16 - 14 threads. I need to find a bolt that size at the hardware store and see if it threads into the hinge. I can't imagine they would go out of their way to make the threads some odd size or metric.

When you have the machine to make the threads, you can do anything you like for any reason you like. We can't ask them what that reason could have been for old safes. We do know that really old things had until a point odd sizes in threads in a few cases the threads can change from device to device off the same line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My old HHM safe looks to have about 7/16 - 14 threads. I need to find a bolt that size at the hardware store and see if it threads into the hinge. I can't imagine they would go out of their way to make the threads some odd size or metric.
    Depending on era of manufacture, the threads could indeed be peculiar. If the factory made their own finials and hinges, any thread would do, and even after thread sizes became more standardized they might have stuck with their own just for compatibility and for replacement parts on their older safes.

As an example, I have a S&G lock that uses 4-34 screws. Very strange.

I was hoping for a fun project, but forsee many trips to the hardware store goodie bins. Thanks for the heads up guys.

[QUOTE=Pete;7855]NatSafeMatt those finials are sweet, but I would want the threads also.

The ones pictured below have threads...we have had many sets made...many of which are "un-common" threads (the older ones). You could drill out some of the existing threads in the hinges and re-tapp them and make the new finials match tht thread...just a suggestion. If you would like some made...i have a buddy that makes them for me. He is currently making two sets for two different Vctors for me now....let me know.

Thread Information