Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Quatrefoil key

Default Quatrefoil key

We purchased this lovely key just under a year ago on Ebay and ended up paying quite a bit of money for it - but we were still very happy with our item. As yet we have not seen another like it - some of the features appear on other keys - but never all on the same one. The key measures 5.5 cm (2.25 inches approx) and looks to have been cleaned at some stage (not by us). There is some pitting damage but this does not affect the attractively worked parts of the bow, shaft or bit. The "end on" shot shows the hollow shaft in a quatrefoil pattern. Our guess is that it was for a jewellery box or fine bureau? If anyone can tell us any more info we'd appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of SHAFT AND BIT.JPG   Copy of KEY.JPG   Copy of END ON SHOT.JPG  

Nice key. Just FYI - it's " quatrefoil " (I think !)

Have you seen any of the really complex shaped keys - ie ones with ace of spades or shape within shape shafts ?

I might have some pictures somewhere ..

Hi there - thanks, have amended the title and text to reflect correct name. Yes, we've seen some pictures of keys with different shaped shafts - and we do have a couple of the more common Ace of Clubs or trefoil models. But our collection is sadly missing the other more complex ones :(. We did see some shape within shape shafts with a dust cover (I think that is what they're called??). Love to see your pics though when you get a chance, and if you know of any for sale ... well you know where we are :-D

Thread Information