Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Plates

Question Safe Plates

A friend has just obtained, from a deceased relative, a collection of brass name plates from various items of machinery. In the collection are some Safe Makers Plates. Can anyone tell me if there is a collectors club in the U.K. where he could sell them on? If not he said he will put them on Ebay.
    I have just looked on a collectors site based in Germany, which shows pictures of Safe Plates. In my friends collection there are at least two plates, from RATNERS and JOHN LOWE which this site isn't showing So I would think they may be pretty rare???

I know very little of safe plates but we DO have a for sale section as well as this section. You could post some pictures of the plates in this forum or post and find out what is know about these items and if you like sell them after that.

I, on the other hand, have probably the largest collection of safeplates in the world.
    Pictures are vital to say anything but please put a ruler in each picture -one tip is that scanning them gives a remarkably good image on almost all scanners.
    Cheers
    Tom

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I, on the other hand, have probably the largest collection of safeplates in the world.
    Pictures are vital to say anything but please put a ruler in each picture -one tip is that scanning them gives a remarkably good image on almost all scanners.
    Cheers
    Tom
    Hi Tom do you want me to send the scans to you? or put them on the site? If you want me to send the scans direct to the web site How do I do it?

http://www.antique-locks.com/whats-n...our-posts.html
    Follow the link to find out how to upload pictures.

Default Safe Plates

Here are the photographs of the Safe Plates I mentioned in an earlier post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Groves and Co1.jpg   J.Grove1.jpg   J.Grove2.jpg   John Lowe1.jpg   John Port1.jpg  

John Port2.jpg   John Tann1.jpg   Milners1.jpg   Milners Estrucheon1.jpg   Milners Estrucheon2.jpg  

Ratner1.jpg   Ratner2.jpg   Whittingham Bros.1.jpg   Withy Grove Stores2.jpg   Withy Grove Stores1.jpg  

The top one is very unusual - I havent seen one with fixings like that before.
    I wondered whether it was off a safe or off a display from the period, but the quality is too low for that I would have thought.
    As the quality of casting is low I wondered if it was off some sort of knock-off safe, but who would knock-off a Grove?
    Old and unusual.

Hi Tom If you are interested in it, for your collection. Do you want to make me an offer for it?

Thanks but, having thought about it, it probably had two lower fixings removed at some time.
    Cheers
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Thanks but, having thought about it, it probably had two lower fixings removed at some time.
    Cheers
    Tom
    Hi Tom No problem, but just given it a good examination and there is no signs that it had two more fixings at the bottom.

Thread Information