Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Mosler, Bahmann & Co, Inc.

Hey guys,

I have a janitoial business and I recently started cleaning this dance hall for girls in a very old building. The building has cypress and some other type of wood floors throughout. In the back of the building there is a Mosler, Bahmann safe. The safe is massave, if I had to guese it weighs 1000 lbs. Its on a cement pedistol that in return sits on the ground.

Whats reads on the safe is, "Girouard & Janin." I assume the previous company that owned the safe. and "Mosler, Bahmann & Co. Inc." "Patd. Ja. 2nd 83."
    "Cincinnati"

I have a couple questions. It has a lever on it that will turn but it looks like it is missing the dial. Is there any way a safe tech. could open it?
    If I were to make an offer the dance hall to buy it in hopes to later restore it, how much would you think its worth? I know for you to give me an accurate estimate you would need pictures... You can still see the words it, its on wheels, its locked shut and is missing the dial, and its starting to rust.

Also where on the safe is the serial number? If I can find it and let you guys know what it is could you tell me more about it?

Thanks for the help! I highly appreciate it...

Andy Merchant
    Broussard, Louisiana

To answer the opening question. Yes a safe tech can open just about any safe. Now the question is how they open it. Can it be done without damage to the container? We can't know without being there and being a trained safe tech. My suggestion is get a few different safe techs to give you a ballpark quote on some pictures you take. Now be sure to take pictures of the entire safe, safe hinge, dial area, a closeup of the hole with light, handle, wheels, and anything else that may protrude from the safe. If the pictures are good a tech should be able to give a idea of what it will take to open. Also get a measurement of the container.

Serial numbers were sometimes put on the hinge, handle or dial.

If it is the type of safe I am thinking of you are underestimating the weight by at least 2000lb as a safe we have in our shop is 4.5 ft high and double door at 4 ft wide and weighs in just under 5000lbs. Safes are not something to tip to far once they get big. Quiet a few get hurt by them.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 19-07-10 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks Halflock, yea you are right about me underestimating the weight. I'm 5'8'' tall, and if I stand next to it the top of it is at eye level. It has two doors. On each door is a lever and on the right door there is a screw where a turn dial once was. I tried to make out a serial number on one of the levers... It looks like 6-3-5-8-0 or 6-3-5-0-0. Its on wheels pushing it is like trying to puch a brick wall. To me, what even more interesting than the safe itself is how it got there. It sits on a cement pedistol, but all the floors are wood.

Oh that is an easy thing. 1/4 steel plates to distribute the load. Safe movers use those for many years.

Default fishin' with wire coat hanger...

If the dial is missing...and the lockbox is gone as well (inside)...you may be able to feed a wire in it (through the hole of dial location) and pull the locking mech. and un-lock it. Without seeing it...it's hard to say. When I sandblast a safe I remove all the dials, lockbox, knobs, etc...but sometimes not the inner locking mechs. I had one "vibrate" locked (or in locked possition) once. I just pulled the workings to the "un-locked" possition by grabbing it with a wire (like wire coat hanger type) and opened it. Again...it is hard to say without seeing it, and if the lockbox is still in there...this most likely ain't gonna work. But you could have fun trying. Best of luck. Matt (Nahum 1:)

Default for what it's worth...

Was H.H. Warner (of Warner's Safe kidney & liver cure) the largest Mosler Bahmann safe agent (distributor)? Incidently...this picture is of a safe I am restoring. If you look closely you will see why I am somewhat puzzeled. It is a Mosler Bahmann safe. It appears to have two "original" paint jobs. As I was sanding i noticed a second set of lettering. Under the "first" layer of "original" paint was a second set of lettering ("H.H. Warner Gen'l Agnt's Rochester")As if they had readied it for sale/distribution then later changed the paint job and lettering. In a sence...it had two originals. Now...mosler Bahmann was on the safe both times. Bizzare...I know they (Mosler & Bahmann) did split up...but I wonder why this safe was like this. Any thoughts? Matt. (Nahum 1:7)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails warner1.JPG   warner2.JPG  

Thread Information