Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default FAKE Fancy Back Rail Road Locks Sell for $$$ on EBAY

Looks like the reproduction artists are at it again. It appears that the new FAKE Fancy Back locks may start flooding the market. What's sad is...100 years from now someone will really think the item they have is an original.

Heck...who knows....maybe by that time the FAKE will be work more than the original...... SO...just another FYI.....Here are the latest RR Fakes popping up on ebay...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEWrrFAKES.jpg  

As its against ebay rules to sell fake items have you tried reporting them?

Ebay won't do a thing with locks, etc. Ebay got a black eye a few years back...I believe on sports autographs or baseball cards. Some high dollars sport items were found to be phony. Ebay finally caved in and
    made it more difficult to sell those items...something like that..SO basically it's BUYER BEWARE.

I would THINK the dealers would not sleep well at night. Without a doubt some dealers KNOW they are ripping off the newbie collectors. If they send the items in the mail, I don't know why they can't be arrested for mail fraud.

These are all made in China by near-slave labour. They find a niche market, and copy all the stuff in the niche, and flood the market.

Sometimes they improve the item, mostly they don't, and some of the fakes are "perfect" as they are made in the same way by older tech and by hand.

They know what they are doing, the Chinese countfeit market is massive, billions a year, and they fake Levi jeans, aircraft parts, medicines, CDs (from simple green discs from a CD burner, right up to hologramed copies of Windows 2003 with generated keys!) and medicines.

The obvious problems with a cheap fake aircraft part is that it will be made from the wrong steel, and so corrode, rust or just snap under load. Fake medicines can be fatal.

Fake padlocks will tend to be marked as heat treated Boron steel, but will just be your regular carbon or mild steel. The internals will be often very different, as as many corners will be cut as possible during manufacture, even going as far as to make the item useless for it's purpose, due to lack of understanding, or perhaps just sheer greed. Tolerances will be low, and parts won't be interchangable.

A lot of the fake locks appear to come out of India, but I have no doubt they are being made in China too.

Although the Chinese tend to copy current locks, for example I have seen very close copies of the Abus Granit padlock - but not exactly the same.

Sorry, I perhaps should have been clearer.

The precision copies of things that are made by the western world tend to come from China, and are exact clones, the fake "olde style" handmade things tend to come from India and Pakistan, and are very good handmade copies, but are not identical clones as that would be obvious, they all have that handmade variation that makes it "authentic".

Thread Information