Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Default Railroad lock

Quote Originally Posted by doubled View Post
    have resizedwill retry
    Could this be Oregon Railroad & Navigation Co. ?.........Donnie

yes it was
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Could this be Oregon Railroad & Navigation Co. ?.........Donnie

Hello everyone.

I bought this Gougler Keyless padlock on Ebay for $8.75 shipped. I have been looking for one of these with the keyway in the back. (Aside: I always thought it was interesting that it has "Keyless locks" right above the keyway. )

So I was able to use a jiggler key to get the lock open via the keyway, but would love to get the combination to this lock. However, the only markings on this lock are on that back side of the shackle, on the left side and it says "88". If someone could help me get the combo for this, that would be great. Pictures as per the rules below.

Thanks!
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1-2.JPG   photo 2-2.JPG   photo 3-2.JPG  

Hi Ed,

In my limited experience, these key-bypass locks were sold in large block orders to schools, factories, and such. The lock factory would not stamp them with the usual code numbers. Instead, the locks would be stamped with purchaser-specific code numbers and a code book would be provided to the customer. As a result the usual codes are not useful here. One source suggests two-digit codes were never used! The Reed code book does not list a combo for 088.

Other folks might have better information than I do.

Thanks for the reply wylk!

I'll keep an eye out, but don't see too many with a keyway, so at least that is a plus. :-)

Cheers!
    Ed

Ed, are you aware of the other style of keyed/keyless Gougler padlock? These use a somewhat flat key via a slot at the base of the case which eliminates the huge bulge of the style you have. There was a discussion under the thread "Gougler Padlock Combination" with some pictures. The locks are not too rare on eBay but the keys are very hard to find.

OK, I think I've followed the rules here. If not, let me know and I'll correct whatever is wrong.

I've got a Gougler that came without key or combo. As you can see from the photo, I was able to pick the keyed side of the lock. But I would still like to get the combination. The only thing resembling a serial number is on the shackle (3232, see photo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7397.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	597.2 KB 
ID:	8635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7398.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	8636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7401.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	589.0 KB 
ID:	8637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7390.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	8638

Timo, try R3-L7-R6
    Mark A. Billesbach

Did not work but let me make sure I went about this correctly.

1. Closed the lock and moved the the keyway back to the locked position. Made sure shackle was firmly locked.

2. Spun the dial 2 complete turns to the right, then, starting from zero. Turned dial to the right stopping at 3.

3. Turned dial one complete revolution to the left, then continued turning left until reaching 7.

4. Turned dial to the right, stopping at the very first time I came to 6

BTW, the model of Gougler has "detents" on the dial at every other number (0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16, 18)

Tim, The numbers are for show only. Turn the dial several times to the right, stopping at 0. Then continue to turn right 3 clicks. Then turn left 7 clicks. Turn right 6 clicks. It should stop on the 6th click and you should be able to pull the lock open. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information