Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb safe with detector lock

Hi, i recently bought this safe and had the lock dated to 1856 and the safe to 1858/9. it has all been repainted but think i will try to do a better job myself, i found it has a detector on it, however the key would not operate the detector and now i have found why!

one of the teeth seems to have worn and Will not quite unlock the detector, here are some pics for you to study, the key is not original, or so im told. and although it has had a repair on the bow, it does have chubb's on it. i have had one before with the same repair. my feeling is that the safe had been tampered with and the owner was unaware it had a detector and so forcing the key round, who know's?

one of the pics is where the levers have been removed to show the stub not quite entering the gate, the others are for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new pics6.jpg   detector.jpg   new pics1.jpg   new pics9.jpg   new pics7.jpg  

new pics3.jpg  

I think your correct, the key is original just very worn, and the lock has worn to match the key. Given that the lock is used 99.9999999 % of the time in the normal lock / unlock sequence the detector release part of the lock has not worn in the same manner and hence will not now function.

I would consider replacing the drill pin, and then fabricate a new key from scratch that is a better more reliable fit - cut it to suit the reset gate and all should be well for another 100 years ...

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    I think your correct, the key is original just very worn, and the lock has worn to match the key. Given that the lock is used 99.9999999 % of the time in the normal lock / unlock sequence the detector release part of the lock has not worn in the same manner and hence will not now function.

I would consider replacing the drill pin, and then fabricate a new key from scratch that is a better more reliable fit - cut it to suit the reset gate and all should be well for another 100 years ...
    thanks for that oldlock. im not sure i would be capable of replacing the drill pin just now as i have never done this, and would'nt want to ruin the lock, however i will try to cut a new key useing the method you have just said (by cutting to suit the reset gate)

Nice find. The reason Oldlock said to replace the pin was that the key will rotate on that and if you don't replace it the new key will not operate as well as it should. I would suggest taking it to someone that can replace that pin for you. I am sorry to say they are few and far between here.

I see your point halflock, thanks for your input. i know that there is a antique lock repairer in cambridge not far from me, but i have lost the address and cant find them on google anymore. maybe someone knows of them and can reply!, thank you once again.

If you can't find anyone local, a new bespoke key & replacement drill pin would run around GBP100 + postage.

Thread Information