Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default I have a Mosler Corliss

I have a Mosler Corliss is not in the best shape and needs work. Not sure what its worth but thinking of selling it. its in an old bank on a 10'X 10' concrete that goes to the basement and is level with the wood floor. If was rolled off the concrete in to the basment it will go. I think thru the roof is the only way for it out... but the building is still water tight and used for storage. Its been there sense 1906 and now I guess we know why!
    J.W. Lewis 573-443-2397
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0420.jpg  

The dials and handles are gone. Those would be very hard to find replacements. It looks like this one has had a "Harvesting" done to it AKA locks removed. Without having the doors open to see if the locks are there it is hard to say what it might be worth more than parts for another safe. I would say try to open it if you are REALLY wanting a safe like that and I would look at that wall next to the safe as a way out if it is an outside wall that it looks to be. It would be cheaper than opening the roof and less of a problem to put back the way it was.

Default Corliss parts

The Corliss has parts, Dials, & bolts inside. But some still missing, inside door broken and missing, time Movements etc., Who knows? Noboby knows anything about them I know....except Maybe Doug or Dan.
    J.W. Lewis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0405.jpg   100_0408.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wildstreak View Post
    The Corliss has parts, Dials, & bolts inside. But some still missing, inside door broken and missing, time Movements etc., Who knows? Noboby knows anything about them I know....except Maybe Doug or Dan.
    J.W. Lewis
    I know several safe Techs that know about these little beastys so it isn't so much knowing as finding the parts. They were not that common to begin with. From the two new pictures I would say it might be able to see function again with a few made parts. You will have to have the parts made by a machine shop If you can't find someone that is parting one that is already in pieces.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 27-04-10 at 08:02 PM.

It looks like it could be a lot of work and money to get that together but I encourage you to do so if you can afford it. The single movement S&G No. 4 timelocks are out there just hard to find. I think one was listed for sale on this forum by "Oldlock". Original dials could be the toughest thing to find but others could be adapted. The dial I see in the pic looks like an interior door dial. But finding (or making) the missing S&G parts is probably easy compared to a missing door. I see you've posted a number so I will call you as soon as I get a chance. Doug

Default This Corliss is no longer for sale

This Corliss is no longer for sale. I dont know how to remove the ad. Thanks J.W. Lewis

Thread Information