Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Herring safe

Default Herring safe

Don't know much about it but would like information as to what it is, it's rarity and value. I collect a lot of things and never considered safes before but I have this one and it's really interesting. I have the combination and when I opened it there was a locked box inside that slides into the middle space. I don't have the key. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0728.JPG   IMG_0729.JPG   IMG_0730.JPG   IMG_0731.JPG  

The lock could be interesting. A photo of the dial and what is underneath that round boss with ' Dexter ' on it would be useful.

Thanks for the reply....How does the round plate come off? Is it just with the what appears to be two screws? Will anything spring out when I remove it? thanks

More than likely there shouldn't be anything that will pop out at you. Fall out maybe but that is only if there is something wrong. Take it slowly and take pictures as you go each step so you have a photo record as you go. Digital is nice for that.

The Silas Herring safes were heavy thick walled safes, built with plate steel.

The nice paint job counts for alot. It is a little later than a Silas Herring which were earlier keylocking safes not with a combination lock . Made in the 1870-80's. Opening the back cover of the lock is not a problem.

Default pics

I finally got the cover off and took some pictures. Nothing came out. Can somebody tell me if this is a quality safe? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0744.JPG   IMG_0745.JPG   IMG_0746.JPG  

It is certainly a well made fire safe with a beautiful paint job if thats what you mean. It was not designed to be a heavy duty burglary safe but will keep many burglars out. But safes like yours should not be used for burglary or fire protection if only because it would be a shame to see it attacked. There are many good used burglary and fire safes available if thats what you want. It is a fine show piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    It is certainly a well made fire safe with a beautiful paint job if thats what you mean. It was not designed to be a heavy duty burglary safe but will keep many burglars out. But safes like yours should not be used for burglary or fire protection if only because it would be a shame to see it attacked. There are many good used burglary and fire safes available if thats what you want. It is a fine show piece.
    I will second that. It is a nice safe.

Default Herring & Co safe with Dexter lock

I have a very similar safe but it has an ugly paint job. I am interested in finding out how to clean the combination lock that is behind the Dexter thing he pulled out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe 1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	786.2 KB 
ID:	6976

Thread Information