Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Antique Belgium? safe , please help !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00703..jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	770.0 KB 
ID:	3056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00706..jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	870.4 KB 
ID:	3055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00712..jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	584.5 KB 
ID:	3054
    Can anyone help me identify this safe, or have any info. on the best opening procedure. The owners lost the dbl. sided key and believe they have the correct letter combo. the key retracts the boltwork once the correct combo is dialed, the handle is just to pull the door open, it does not turn. The only info. I have is that the family moved to texas from Belgium. Please help !

OK - So it's a lockout.

This being an open forum I'm not going to go into any great specifics, but as your a locksmith this information should be of use.

The boltwork on this type of safe usually has two types of bolts, key operated deadlocking bolts and more importantly a slam action latch bolt. I've opened more than a few of this general type where the safe was not fully locked, just closed on the latch bolt (usually with the key inside). A simple examination of the safe will determine whether the safe is fully locked, and if not the location of the latch bolt which is easy to defeat with minimal damage to the safe and zero damage to the lock.

Thread Information