Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feedback re adding a Wiki ???

I'm giving consideration to adding a Wiki (for articles as a 'knowledge base') onto the site here at antique-locks.com. This would allow much more focused delivery of knowledge and information on specific makers, subjects and locks for the user to find, add to and explore.

Your feedback re this proposal would be appreciated. I would not be able to create all the entries and articles myself and would envision this as a complement for the majority of the forum, not a replacement for it.

Paul, sounds interesting. I'm not really sure how it would be set up,but give it a try. If it works it might really generate more interest in our hobbies. Mark

Default Wiki proposal

Sounds like a good idea. Although there is a lot of info here it is often in the form of answers to specific questions rather than a general article about a particular topic. Consolidating this info into a reference would be a great help to people wanting to find out about, for instance, a particular personality/company or type of lock.

Like so many things that start small it will get bigger and have a life of its own. Lets give it a go.

Feedback here and privately has been positive. I know that there any many knowledgeable visitors to the site who would be capable (willing is another matter) or writing articles.

So, I have begun the setup process, while the tab and bare bones of the system are in place I ask users not to try and use the system until I post accordingly.

The system is now in place and active. While it should all be stable and working please be aware that the exact mechanics of the system are new to me also and there may well be teething issues ...

I look forward to your input as the wiki develops.

I was a little premature with the above. The system while in place is not fully configured. It is as I mentioned before a new system to me and is taking a little while to get sorted so please bear with me at this time.

The wonders of cut and paste should help keep what we add safe.

Sounds like a great idea but what exactly are you looking for. I do extensive patent research on US locks, safes and vaults, matching them to actual known products whenever possible. From experience I have found that more often than not if something was patented, at the very least a prototype was made. In some cases patent dates found on a product only relate to some particular aspect of it, often confusing the actual date of the introduction of said product. Knowing that many collectors are interested in dating their finds, including patents and patent dates will usually help to establish that goal. Let me know how you feel about including patents of locks where there are no known examples, otherwise you may find the wiki filling up with the hundreds of patents that I have not yet matched up. I do feel that dating each entry should have a date (patent or manufacture date) so when you have collected numerous entries on Chubb locks for example, the reader will be able to get some sense of sequential history and development. If the dating is later found to be incorrect it could be amended.

Like any Wiki you chose what you are intrested and write an article with pictures and any other parts you need to add to make it come out looking good to you.

In your case you could do an article on patents on a select lock company or person and go over when they did what. We can then add a link in the Wiki to point to that to show more about that lock in relation to others.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 11-04-10 at 10:21 PM.

Thread Information