Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Climax detector safe lock

This lock was being sold as a climax detector safe lock with 8 sliders thought it looked very simular to a Bramah mech, any ideas on its age (i doubt it has any great age to it at all) and if it is a Bramah or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails climax detector 8 sliders 2.jpg   climax detector 8 sliders 1.jpg  

It is a Cotterill Climax detector lock, although in truth very few of the locks have the detector, or anti-pressure mechanisms present.

Patented in around 1840, and made through until about 1910 or so.

Most are exactly as you picture, but some of the very best bank locks are superb. I should soon have some nice Cotterill locks and plan to post information on them.

Thanks for your post.

Thanks for that, its a lot older than i thought then.

I take it its just Bramah style then and not actually a Bramah mech?

In Bramah the sliders move horizontally through the lock, in Cotterill they move radially. As such bramah keys have cuts in the end of the key which are flat bottomed and cotterill has angled cuts into the edge / end of the key.

If you look at the bramah lock in this area of the forum, and then check when I post pictures of the cotterill lock / keys when I receive them in around a week or so this will make more sense.

Thread Information