Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default This is my favorite lock. HOW OLD IS IT!!

i bought it off ebay in 1999 for 27 bux.. HOW old is this lock. it is a master no. 47 lock.. i also JUST bought a master 48 off ebay for 14 bux it is the brass version of this lock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5f8142bb5c8017d6488dfaf2faf40c82-.jpg   74dce5b374d38060c423c303e450ee60-.jpg  

Default Re: This is my favorite lock. HOW OLD IS IT!!

Sorry, I was on the road when you posted and didn't have the reference close. Master lock Co. had a history of naming their different lock models until the late 1930's, your lock was named the Tiger. That name was applied to both versions, 47 steel and 48 brass. Both versions were first produced in 1936 and both were last produced in 1948. It is a lever lock and known as a shell type within Master to differentiate it from the laminated type.
    BBE.

Default Re: This is my favorite lock. HOW OLD IS IT!!

Not many lock collectors like this (or any Master Lock for that matter) but I do. I have a number of Master 47's and one Master 48 and I LOVE them!!!! The one in your pic looks like it is in GREAT condition....far better than any of mine. Here is a quick look at a couple of mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010010-5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	2288

Happy collecting!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
    The Amazing Michael~Escape Artist/Scuba Diver/Locksmith/Lock, Handcuff, and Restraint Collector......and one HELL of a model American! =)

Thread Information