Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jack Kuchera Guest

Default Bell Ringing Antique Lock

I have this lock that I will call an Antique Bell Ringing Box Lock. It appears to be used on some type of large antique box. The purpose of the lock is to alert someone that the box was being unlocked by sounding a bell as the key is turned.
    As the key is turned, the housing that the key fits into, turns with the key and rotates a five star assembly attached to the end of the housing. This in turn lifts an arm that then falls on the bell and rings it.
    It appears that the star should lift and then drop something that then allows the clapper arm to drop and ping the bell. The bell will ping 5 times with one complete rotation of the key. Some sort of spring assembly (either flat or coil ) pulls or pushes the clapper arm down to ping the bell. Whatever it is would have to fit under the inside cover plate. That piece would also hold the housing in place when the key is removed, ready for the next time the box would be opened or shut and locked.
    I am wondering if anyone has worked on one of these and might have an exploded view of this lock and know what I need to make this bell ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bell Lock 005.jpg   Bell Lock 004.jpg   Bell Lock 003.jpg   Bell Lock 002.jpg   Bell Lock 001.jpg  

Thread Information