Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: new member

Default new member

hi , glad to have found this site ., my name is Gus and have only a few padlocks looking for info and reading the forums .

Welcome Gus, I'm sure you'll find all kinds of usefull info on this site. I myself am on here several times a day to check on new posts. Check out some of my padlock collection in the "padlock" section under "other padlocks". Mark

Welcome.

I don't collect padlocks but I do work on them at times.

thanks , have to sort old camera as my other camera is with someone else before sending some pic's. .One question for the moment is if a padlock is authentic and the key works how can I tell if the key is the original. apology in advance if this question has been asked before.

That is a case by case question. Some of the time there is a mark on the key that will tell us if they match the padlock. This mark maybe on the padlock too. But then as you get older padlocks it gets harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    That is a case by case question. Some of the time there is a mark on the key that will tell us if they match the padlock. This mark maybe on the padlock too. But then as you get older padlocks it gets harder.
    thanks for quick reply

Exclamation BoomBoxDeluxe: New member, 24th July 2010

Hi peoples!

This is my first post here. Its great to have found a chat forum for locks, keys, padlocks and the like.

Since a young boy, I have always been interested in keys and locks, and over time, I collected a sizeable quantity of keys. Some of them are for cars, but the majority I have are for door locks, both cylinder type and lever locks.

I also have a small collection of cylinders, and padlocks. I also have this HUGE 3-lever Union lock. Never seen another like it, although I am sure that it was a mass-produced lock in its day.

None of my locks are antique as such, but some are from companies that no longer exist either because they were bought-out, or changed their name for some reason ( e.g. Yale used to be known as Yale and Towne, and then later on, Eaton Corporation)

Just for quick reference, some of the lock names that I have:

Century ( H & J F )
    Chubb
    GeGe
    KEN
    Mul-T-Lock
    Union
    Yale (Yale and Towne)
    Yale (Eaton Corporation)

There's also some funny, el-cheapo padlocks that I have, which are:

Tri-Circle (yeah, made-in-china)
    L&F ( I believe that this may be Lowe and Fletcher )

The L&F padlocks that I have (QTY=2) are what would have been used by electricity boards to secure the coin boxes on electricity meters. Not only do I have the padlocks, but I have the meters, too! I don't have keys for them though, however I managed to open one of them by picking it, and then taking an old key and filing it down so that it worked the lock.

I hope to get pictures posted soon. I have a photobucket account, and I will link them from there.

My username of "BoomBoxDeluxe" comes from my other interest, which has been going for roughly as long as the interest in locks, which is Boom Boxes, otherwise known as "Ghetto-Blasters". I have a collection of those also. :-D

Pictures to arrive soon, I hope! (....of the locks, not the boomboxes :-D )

Take care everyone,

-BoomBoxDeluxe.

Welcome aboard! Always happy to have another lock collector. Maybe over time you will find the nitch that you like.... from the sound of it you like the keys. I don't collect keys so much as get OEM keys of different times in a manufactures history so I can make keys to locks with the original marked keys for the time the lock was made. I did trip over a 1940s V key as the link at the end shows. Sometimes it isn't that easy to get a key for a 100 year old lock that is correct. But I do try.

http://www.antique-locks.com/keys/429-v-victory.html

Default New member

Hi all.
    I'm new here and I'm glad to be here. I liked to register myself simply reading the name of this site.
    I began my working life into safeboxes, locks, keys and security sistems since 1978.
    I have some old lock, expecially safeboxes locks, but not a really collection. Just because I like the old, hand made, manifacture.
    I'm sure to find a lot of interesting topics here.
    Bye all

Eldoc

Welcome aboard!

Join in the conversation. I know there are several locks and safes that have been asked about on this forum that are from Italy. We would LOVE to learn more! Or pictures of any lock you may have.

Thread Information