Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new member

Default Roberta - New Member - Studying Yale.

Please welcome Roberta to the forums who is researching the lives and work of Linus Yale, Sr., Linus Yale Jr., and Ira L. Cady.

Roberta writes – "I live in Newport, New York, in the house that Linus Yale, Sr., built for his son-in-law, Ira L. Cady, and daughter, Chlotilda. The ruins of the first Yale lock shop, where Linus Yale Sr. & Jr. worked, are in my backyard. Although I have a small collection, I am perhaps more interested in collecting information about the locks and keys they made (esp. between 1844 and 1868) than in owning the actual hardware."

That sounds like a fascinating project, we shall look forward to your questions and learning from your input.

Hi Roberta. I have been studying the evolution of the modern combination lock from the keylock for several years now. Primarily this occured over the period of the 1840 through the 1860's with both Yale Jr. and Sr. contributing to the developement. One of the most important patents I have found is the little known Yale & Wilson patent of 1843 for a key operated wheel lock with two sets of stacked wheels with two wheels in each stack. At this point you have most likely found more information on these men than I have, but if I can be of any help don't hesitate to ask. Doug

Smile Re: Roberta - New Member - Studying Yale.

Thanks, Doug. I recognize that lock. It is on my "to do" list to find out why that patent was filed in Springfield, Massachusetts, when Linus Yale had already made his home in Newport, NY, and had filed an 1841 patent there.

I may be biased but I happen to think that both Linus Yale, Sr., and Jr. were mechanically brilliant as well as being ahead of their time in other ways. I can also tell from reading Jr.'s letters that he had a fabulous sense of humor.

Welcome aboard!

Are you planning on writing a book on those two?

Default Linus Yale, Sr. and Jr.

They are certainly deserving of a book and I am surprised that no one has written one.

Roberta, Welcome aboard ! Both father and son Yale were truly fascinating men. There is a book called "Early Locks and Lockmakers of America" by Thomas F Hennessy that has quite a bit of history on both men and the company. If you haven't seen it yet, I would encourage you to get a copy. You can get a copy at this site.The Lock Museum of America It has a lot of interesting information about many of the early companys and how they were intermingled throughout the years. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Roberta, I have just posted an early Yale lock in the safe keylock section so it wouldn't get buried in this section. I have noticed that both Yale Sr's 1843 and 1844 patents have him residing in Springfield. Also that Wilson in a later 1854 patent still has him (Wilson) in Springfield. Springfield at that time would have more likely had the necessary metal working machinery needed than would have been found in Newport. Doug

Hello All,

Thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself.

I am an institutional locksmith (as my profession), and also an artist blacksmith (currently an all-consuming hobby). I have recently decided to combine those two interests, and am starting to restore old locks by using traditional blacksmithing techniques to reproduce parts when necessary. I am also studying and gaining the necessary experience to eventually become accredited as a conservator specializing in industrial technology.

My interest in old (
    pre-industrial revolution) locks really started when I read an article about a 'Masterpiece Lock" that was produced by a group of blacksmiths for one of our associations conferences. It truly was a thing of beauty - and I was hooked. After a bit of research into hand forged locks, I found some videos and articles about a shop in Cuenca Ecuador where such things are still made, in the same manner as they have been for centuries. Well, at that point I decided I have to do it myself.

I'm not quite at the point of wanting to tackle a start-to-finish lock build myself. But have begun doing some restoration work.

Don't worry, I'm not destroying any museum pieces .... so far it's mostly been old rusty garage sale finds.

Anyways, that's all about me in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading and learning here, and will hopefully have something useful to contribute too.

Cheers,

Brew

Brew, Welcome aboard! I'm always interested when someone goes to the trouble of restoring padlocks, no matter the style. Please take the time and post some pics of locks you've done and works in progress.
    Mark A. Billesbach

I am sorry to say Brew that you have stopped being a blacksmith....... but you have started to be a true Locksmith. There are VERY few outside of the middle east that make or repair locks with a forge and hammer. Very cool.

Welcome aboard. Would love to read anything on how you make locks with pictures of course.

Thread Information