Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: new member

Yes welcome! Its about time we get a blacksmith on here. Is the lock you refer to the ABANA lock? Doug

Doug - yes, the lock that was produced for the 2002 ABANA conference. From the moment I saw it in the newsletter, I said "I must learn to do that".

The second source of inspiration was a gentleman named Manuel Guerra. If you're not familiar with that name, you must take a look at some of the YouTube videos that have been posted of his shop. He has since passed away, but I hope others hav carried on his work. That kind of craftsmanship and artistry is rare to find in this day and age.

Brew, when I look at this type of blacksmithing, which I understand was called whitesmithing back in the day, it just blows me away. It seems to me that just the amount of time spent in doing work of this type must be staggering, not to mention the years spent learning how to do it. I hope you like to answer questions about the different skills and techniques seen in works like Guerra's and the ABANA lock, as I have many. My own area of focus in lockmaking is mainly of the 1800's and recently started attempting sandcasting in bronze. Doug

Well, it's still early days in my journey into that kind of work. I'm pretty much learning by trial and error, as there aren't many around who can teach you. At this point, I probably have more questions than answers, but am happy to share whatever I learn.

Brew, although you may not get answers to your questions, I encourage you to post at least some of your questions here if it is not to much trouble. I understand that blacksmithing in general is not learned quickly and is very much a "hands on" skill. And although I may not ever actually do it, but I am very interested in understanding all of the various techniques used in general blacksmithing as well as the more specialized lockmaking. For example have you tried your hand at making a spring like the one pictured in the post I just put on of the Spanish safe from the 1700's. I have noticed that type of spring is also used in flintlock gun locks. I was told by one blacksmith that he just made that type of spring out low carb steel and it worked fine. So now I wonder if it worked because of the fact that was work hardened. Have you ever heard of this? Doug

Default EGSalms – New Member

Please welcome EGSalms, a collector of Keys of all types, Sesamee combination locks, older style Master locks, Best locks, Lever Padlocks, and others and tells us…

“I have liked collecting keys and locks since before I was in Kindergarten, and I am now 24 years old. Growing up, I would often be found playing with people's keys, and I still play around with friends' keys to this day. I recently got back into my collection after letting it everything sit in an old munitions crate at my grandparents' house for about 10 years. I went through and organized most of them by maker, style, and other ways. I have a lot more orphaned keys than I do locks, and many of my locks have mismatched keys, but for now a mismatched key will open the locks, and I'm fine with that until I can find proper keys to the locks. I am hoping that by joining this site that I may sometime be able to learn more about my locks such as when they were made, their approximate value, and perhaps some simple rust removal techniques which won't damage the antique locks and their workings.”

We look forward to learning more about your collection.

Welcome aboard. Ask away on the questions!

Default Charlie Deeds - New Member

Please welcome Charlie Deeds to the forums. Charlie recently purchased a reproduction padlock at a local auction, intrigued by the apparently simple mechanism. He’s been interested in history most of his life and participates in a local reinactment group in north Texas, cir. Early American period thru Western Expansion.

Charlie comments – "I am a retired jeweler (cannot see well enough any more) and now dabble in blacksmithing. I would be interested in information about lock making and period locks of the late 18th and early 19th century, especially those that might have been used and brought west in the settlement of Texas and also of the Fir Trade era."

Hallo, great site. I am a mechanical engineer, working for a company with Bank Office Organisation Systems. I already found useful information in this forum, and hope to share knowledge and experience in the future.

Welcome aboard.

Thread Information