Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Milner Safe 212

I trust the OP is aware these square corner safes have no security or fire protection value - there is a Chubbsafes vid somewhere on youtube of a holdfast safe being cut apart in a minute with an anglegrinder.

Some old safes were dark green, I've also seen Milners in maroon.
    I've seen this sort of drop handle on old bookroom doors, so though it does not look right for a safe it could be a replacement supplied by Milner.

Spruced-up old safes make interesting drinks cabinets.

John Holden Security in its new ownership supplies bespoke safes and can probably do a good restoration job if the OP thinks it worth spending good money.

No security value? I think it would be better stated as low or limited security value. As most house breakers do not carry an angle grinder with them, (or at least they didn't prior to the vid you describe) how does it fare against a screwdriver and claw hammer? Compared to leaving valuables just laying around, pretty much any safe is an increase in protection. You certainly wouldn't get away with using an angle grinder on a safe in a night time break-in with the homeowners upstairs. Yes, I wouldn't keep a million dollars in one, but then again I don't have a million dollars, don't live in a neighborhood where anyone does and the typical break-in is more likely to to be committed by a heroin addict that is looking for valuables easily taken. Of course the real crime here is all of the new tin can safes being sold as "good" security, which are either too light or too thin to even hold up against the screwdriver and hammer attacks. I would take a Holdfast safe over one of those anyday of the week.

Personally, I wouldn't disagree with you -- and perhaps 'no' was too emphatic.
    Many UK household insurance policies will insure up to £1,000 with no security requirement, so a wooden drawer would be acceptable. My point was that an insurer would be unlikely to accept such a safe for any risk for which the insurer requires the security of a safe.
    Casual opportunist burglars might themselves be deterred by even an old safe. However, professional burglars (which includes most drug addicts) are prone to finger jobs for better resourced burglars, selling information on the location and description of a safe. Then someone better equipped either comes to the safe, or removes it to open elsewhere. That's the way it goes.

Default Unknown Milner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockforce001 View Post
    Hello I can't see a serial number on it anywhere,any ideas?i will post a few picturesimagejpeg

It's now over a week since you said that you would post some pictures.
    Otherwise forget it.

Thread Information