Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-
 www.Antique-Locks.com 
  
HoL
   COLTi
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks HoL Museum
COLTi
  
Please support our forum sponsors where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.Today's scene and cutting edge developments.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4
    Country: England

    Default Can anyone give me a date of when this key would have been made please?

    Hi,I was doing some gardening yesterday when I dug up this key, it is around 3 inches long at a guess. Could anyone tell me when this would have been made and also if it was used for a door or to open something else please?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040673_zps3460b33f-1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	11138

    thanks Becky

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Devon UK
    Posts
    2,918
    Country: UK

    Default

    Although it has features of a key, it doesnt seem to me to be a genuine key -more of a decorative item.
    What is the colour of it - is the photo colour accurate?
    Regards
    Tom

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockmaiden84 View Post
    Hi,

    I was doing some gardening yesterday when I dug up this key, it is around 3 inches long at a guess. Could anyone tell me when this would have been made and also if it was used for a door or to open something else please?
    From what I see it appears that the back side of that 'key' is completely flat. If it is, it could have been made last week.
    BBE.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Although it has features of a key, it doesnt seem to me to be a genuine key -more of a decorative item.
    What is the colour of it - is the photo colour accurate?
    Regards
    Tom
    It is a little lighter in colour then the photo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    From what I see it appears that the back side of that 'key' is completely flat. If it is, it could have been made last week.
    BBE.
    The key isnt flat on the other side

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4
    Country: England

    Default

    20140227 132820 zps88797746jpg320x480 1 - Can anyone give me a date of when this key would have been made please?From the side clear - Can anyone give me a date of when this key would have been made please?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,112
    Country: Wales

    Default

    Is it my eyesight or are there 2 letters/numbers- one on the bow and one on the collar? the shapes look a bit too precise and defined to just be scratches or pitted areas of corrosion.

    It's a modern zinc die-casting if they are!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Country: Australia

    Default RE:

    I think it is an old key, because some old keys were forged in this design.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Devon UK
    Posts
    2,918
    Country: UK

    Default

    Everything adds up to this being a relatively modern key. The cuts on the blade/bit are not workable and the casting numbers would not have been possible with sand cast iron.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •